Matilda

The moment Aveline stepped back into Potter mansion she could tell something was off. Not necessarily bad off, but definitely different.
James loudly declaring they should go upstairs and nap before dinner then practically dragging Aveline up the stairs before she could protest.

In the whole six year she had known James she literally had known him to be anti-nap. He was also so high strung with energy she didn't even think he could nap if he tried.

"What? Why?" she asked him as he was pushing him by the shoulders into her room.

James had always been a horrible liar. She could tell but the way his face was turning red and he was looking anywhere but her eyes.

"You look exhausted," he blurted out.

"I look exhausted?" she asked, crossing her arms clearly offended.

James was panicking, running his hands through his hair. It only intensified as Aveline sent him a warning glare. Testing him if he really wanted to call her exhausted looking on her birthday one more time.

"Okay fine!" James broke. "We're trying to throw you a tiny surprise party but we need you to lock yourself in a room so it can be a surprise!" James blurted out, throwing his hand over his mouth.
"Don't tell anyone I told you!"

Her face broke out into a grin and she sent James a wink before shutting her door. The second she heard him walking away she started giggling to herself over how idiotic James could be sometimes.

She flopped down on her bed, picking up a book on her bed side table to flip through. It was one Remus had given her a few years book. A collection of the brothers Grimm's fairy tales. Her favourite was always the twisted version of cinderella, letting her eyes skim over it as she waited.

Eventually she decided she might as well touch up her makeup for the evenings events.Making her way to the small chair and table sat in the corner of the room. She always liked doing her makeup the muggle way. There was something so soothing about the process.

A knock on her door sounded and she hauled herself
up, opening it to reveal Remus standing there. A small wrapped box in his hand.

"C-can I come in?" he asked, sounding a bit nervous. He was usually as confident as ever, and it was slightly adorable to see the red flush on his cheeks.

"Yeah of course," she said lightly, smiling up at him and stepping aside.

The door shut behind behind as Aveline wandered back over to table, sitting back down on her chair to apply a layer of lipgloss. For a moment Remus just watched her. Her lips pouted as she leaned forward in the mirror, the look of the gloss swiping over her lips.

"What's up?" she asked, turning around to grin at him.

Remus was a flustered mess. The sight of her all done up in her short summer dress, the blush on her cheeks and the sparkle highlighting her face from the makeup she had just applied.

An angel, was perhaps the best thing he could describe her. A glowing radiant being of such beauty he couldn't even comprehend it.

"This is for you," he said rather quickly, passing her the wrapped box in his hand. "It's really not much but.."

She cut him off, reaching out and squeezing his hand.

Delicately she unwrapped the paper, as if she was scared of ripping it. He watched, her the box fumbling in her fingers.

It was a necklace. One made of gold with a charm of a sun on the end. Glowing little stones in the center of it. The moment she saw it she let out a little gasp.