The Minds A Dangerous Thing

It had gotten to the point where it had been too much for Remus— watching Aveline be the center of almost every guys attention. And he knew, that it wasn't out of friendly concern or care that sent him to a raging pit of emotional vomit that did so.

For Remus Lupin didn't know much, but the one thing he was sure about is that he was in love with Aveline Rosier, and had been since the moment he met her in first year.

It was one of those things that started out as a school boy crush. Perhaps because Aveline was the only girl who hung around them or perhaps because she was very pretty, but little 11 year old Remus had always been fascinated with the girl. He would watched her in awe when' she'd brush her gold hair, and get a trembling feeling in his stomach when she'd reach up and fix his tie.

He always assumed it would go away. That one day Aveline would introduce themto a boyfriend and he'd learn to live with the ache in heart. For there was no way in any multidimensional universe that Aveline Rosier would like him— a werewolf with nothing to offer but a strange collection of vintage novels.

Aveline was the type of girl who people wanted to be or to be around. Always smiling, always happy, radiating with the positivity of someone who loved life. She was the shining star of every room she ever walked in, a radiant ball of light that was hard not to adore.

And what was he?

He was a werewolf watching in the corner, wasting his mind space pinning over a girl who would never look at him that way. For Remus knew, that people like him didn't find love.

It was a conversation that his parents had had with him many times before. The honey- your-a-bit -different-so-your-life-will-be-different-too talk that he had grown accustomed to over the years. He would never be able to find that type of love that makes life worth living, and it seemed as if that was the type of love Aveline produced as easy as plants produce air.

So, that's how the boy found himself hiding up in the astronomy tower well everyone else was still partying. Staring up at the crescent moon that mocked him when in its full state, as he took sips out of a vodka bottle he snatched from Sirius.

Everytime night came, regardless whether the moon was waxing or waning, it was a reminder of him to what he was. He could laugh and smile with everyone else all he wanted, but at the end of the day he was a werewolf. And as much as hid it from everyone, he knew that one day he would be exposed, and the world would know he was a monster.

"How did you know?" a voice asked, the steps of someone joining him catching him off guard.

James Potter had walked in, leaning onto the railing Remus was sitting on. He looked more drained then usual, his usual upbeat face looking exhausted.

"What do you mean?" Remus asked, looking at James out of the corner of his eye and bringing the cigarette he was smoking to his lips.

The glasses wearing boy looked up and have Remus a are-you-shitting-me type of look, before snatching the cigarette from him and taking a hit from it. That was odd, Remus thought, James usually detested smoking.

"How did you know your in love with Aveline?"

Remus gulped, he most certainly wasn't expecting that. He always thought he did an excellent job at hiding his feelings. Pretending to cheer her on when someone asked her out, and otherwise trying to treat her the same as the others boys— who thought of her more like a little sister then anything.

"I'm not sure what you mean," Remus lied, taking a swing of Vodka and letting it sting and burn his throat

"Don't play dumb with moony," James said, and he had zero indication of joke of play on his voice. "I see the way you look at her. If anyone knows what a guy hopelessly in love with a girl looks like, it's me."