I'll die a happy man

"Sirius Black."

As the names were called Aveline was transported seven years ago when she stood in this very room with sweaty hands and nerves waiting to be sorted. How different things were, she thought to herself as she watched Sirius strut onto the stage without a care in the world. The boy let out a hollering WOO as he stepped off the stage that caused a view chuckles throughout the crowd.

Aveline looked down at her own wizarding robes, adorned with her yellow Hufflepuff tie and prefect pin.

If you were to ask little Aveline who she wanted to be when she grew up she would've answered out of fear.

She would've said she wanted to be a slytherin, to be pretty, to be a wife— all the answers expected from the family that birthed her.  Though the young woman she was today was nothing of a pureblood dream, for the first time in her life Aveline Rosier could say she was proud of who she was becoming. 

"Remus Lupin."

The past couple months had been hard for Remus, loosing his mother at a time he so desperately needed her supporting hand.  He took the stage bravely, though a glisten could be seen in his eyes as he looked out into the crowd and saw his father alone.

Peter was next, the short boy red in the face and quick in his steps.  James went right after that, the boy getting perhaps the largest cheer from the crowd out of anyone who had crossed the stage.

The closer it got to her the more nerves grew in Aveline's stomach.

What if she fell? What if they just forget to call her name ?

Though as the shrill sound of—

"Aveline Rosier"

Hit the girls ears she took a deep breathe— she was ready for this. New things were coming, it was time.

She crossed the stage with a wide smile, barely even registering what was happening till she was walking down the steps and the next person was being called.

She looked down at the piece of paper in her hands.

This was it.

She was done.

________

The ceremony was pretty much a black out of speeches and boring procedures for Aveline. The next thing she knew she was standing outside in the courtyard, sun shining in her eyes watching crowds of parents, families and students hug and greet eachother.

She had been separated from her friends with the rush to get outside, and as she looked around at mothers clinging to daughters and fathers close to tears, Aveline had never felt more out of place.

From across the courtyard she spotted James, clinging onto his parents. Beside him Remus, in deep embrace with his father. Next to them Peter with his family, and Marlene with here.

Even Lily's muggle parents were there, proudly dotting upon their daughter.

Who did Aveline have?

She was certain if she walked over to the Potters they'd embrace her as they usually did, though there was something about the moment she wanted to leave just for James.  The boy had been too nice sharing his parents all these years, there was times where he needed them just to be his.

"Aveline!"

An excited voice caused her to turn around, and she was met by the tackle of Sirius, pulling her into a tight hug.

She smiled, effortlessly.

"We did it Ave!" Sirius hollered, pulling away and ruffling her hair with his hand. "We fucking did it!"