chapter thirty-six

FLASHBACK

"Mom! Look, I got 100% on my test!" Seungmin exclaimed with a big smile on his face.

"Good job Seungmin, I'm so proud of you!" His mom hugged the other tightly.

"What about you Jiwoon?"

"I got 62%." Jiwoon bluntly answered.

"62%?! Jiwoon, have you not been studying!?" His mother shouted, causing Jiwoon to feel startled.

"Mother...I studied 5 hours a day and woke up at 4am just to study again..."

"You sure haven't been studying hard enough. All those hours of studying were useless!" His mother slapped him across the face.

"Mom!" Seungmin shouted as he ran to his brother who was in tears.

"Are you okay?" Seungmin asks.

"I'm fine.."

"Why would you do that mom! That's abuse!"

"Oh Seungmin, you'll learn once you get older."

———

"I got a 98% on my test mom!"

"Good job Seungmin! What about Jiwoon?"

"I got 57%."

SLAP

———

"I got 100%!"

"I got 64%.."

SLAP

———

"I got 92%."

"42%."

SLAP

———

"87%."

"23%..."

...

———

"Why can't you be more like your brother? Having high grades?!"

"I have high grades too! You just only pay attention whenever I fail a test, but that doesn't even put affect on my final grades!"

"It doesn't matter whether it affects your grades or not, you can't be failing tests Jiwoon!"

"Do you even try to pass these tests?!"

"Fuck, I'm fucking trying mother! Do you know how fucking exhausting it is to come home from school and study all the way till dinner and go back to studying till 12am, wake up at 4am and continue studying again?! I've been following that exact schedule for the past months!"

"I'm fucking exhausted, but you just can't give me a break! None of you guys can! I'm sacrificing my own health to make you guys proud of me! What else more do you fucking want from me?!"

"Jiwoon—"

"Oh so now you wanna feel fucking bad for me? Do you know how much pain I've been through just to fit your fucking standards?! The shit I had to sacrifice to get a high score on my tests?!"

"I fucking starved myself, fucked up my sleep schedule, and refused to do anything but study for the past months."

"I did all of that! But what did I get in return? A fucking beating."

"How did Seungmin pass so easily then?"

"Because you guys favored him since day one! He felt no pressure to succeed whatsoever. But me? Ever since I failed once, you guys put all this pressure on me to be better and that got to my head and I ended up destroying myself because of it!"

"I fucking destroyed myself for you and the fact you didn't even realize it just shows how horrible of a parent you are."

"I'm slowly killing myself and you're unaware of that."