8

EMERY FOUND HERSELF standing beside Klaus who had his fingers tightly wrapped around her wrist as they faced the others. Her eyes widened, taking in her surroundings.

"Emery?" Elena's voice filled her ears as soon as she arrived at the quarry with Klaus. Her eyes flickered from the original to the doppleganger who was standing in the middle of a circle of fire with tears in her eyes. Elena's lips were trembling as she asked, "what are you doing here?"

"I invited her," Klaus replied, letting go of the girl's hand as he walked towards Greta, his witch, "glad to know I still have a dance partner," he said referring to what Greta said earlier. "Hello, my lovelies. Are we ready?"

Emery was unaware that Jenna was there since her sole focus was on Elena.

"Emery?" Jenna asked, eyes widening as she stared at the girl. "What— what are you doing here?"

She looked at Jenna, her eyes widened when she saw her state, "J–Jenna?" Without thinking twice, she rushed towards her, the flames grew stronger making her stop a few inches away from it, "what are you doing here?"

"Klaus!" Elena shouted, "let Emery go! You don't have to hurt her— I'm doing everything you want!"

"Who said anything about hurting her?" Klaus asked back, furrowing his brows at the doppleganger who mirrored his expression. "Then why is she here?"

"Just to watch the show," Klaus replied with a smirk.

Emery turned to the original, "what is Jenna doing here?"

"I needed a vampire," he replied simply, "your friends freed the one I had. I needed to do something about it."

"This is fucking mystic falls. There's like a thousand of vampires around here!" Emery exclaimed, "you didn't have to turn her—"

"—I didn't but I did. Now be quiet, love." He walked over to her and grabbed her wrist before dragging her with him, ignoring her futile attempt to set herself free, "just enjoy the show."

"No, let me go!" Emery began to claw at his hand, "— don't hurt her." Her voice was low now, "she did nothing to you."

"I'm sorry about that, sweetheart. But this is too important right now." Klaus said as he neared a rock and motioned for her to sit now but she didn't.

"Piss off."

"Sit down," he repeated, clenching his jaw which made her rolled her eyes before sitting down reluctantly. There was something about him that was preventing her from hurting him. She didn't know what but she wanted to find out. Klaus didn't notice the look Greta sent his way when he turned back to Elena, Jenna and Jules who was whimpering in pain, unable to shift under the full moon.

"I've got the moonstone. I spent 500 years looking for this. I hate to part with it." Klaus handed the moonstone to Greta who grabbed it and looked up at the sky.

"The moon has passed its apex," Greta informed, "remember everything you need to do?"

Klaus nodded, "I remember." Greta dropped the moonstone into a stone bowl filled with flames. Sparks flew as the moonstone was destroyed. Greta then began chanting a spell in Latin while Klaus approached the rings of fire.

Jules, who was lying on the ground in pain, looked up at Elena, "Everything I did... I was just trying to help Tyler."

"How was biting Rose helping Tyler though?" Emery asked, making the werewolf look at her in shame. "I regret it."

"No you don't."

Elena ignored their short exchange of words, "Are you Jules?"

"I didn't want him to be alone!" Jules said while Klaus looked down at her with a smirk, "shall we?" The ring of fire around Jules dispersed and her eyes turned yellow before she used her werewolf speed to rush at Klaus. Alas, Klaus got the upper hand and grabbed her before pinning her to the ground, plunging his hand into her chest and ripping out her heart, killing her instantly.

Klaus breathed out heavily as he held the bloody heart in his hands. He glanced at Elena and Jenna to find them looking at him, mortified while Emery bit her lip, disgusted. The thought that her aunt was going to receive the same fate made her frown.

Her eyes flickered from Klaus to Jenna again and again as she contemplated on what to do.

Greta continued chanting a spell while Klaus held Jules's heart over the ceremonial bowl, squeezing the blood into the flames which intensified making Klaus ask, "does that mean it's working?"

Greta nodded, "it's working." Over in the rings of fire, Elena watched Klaus and Greta in the distance. Jenna looked up at her, eyes glistening with tears. Emery couldn't help but stand up as she approached her aunt.

Jenna looked at her then at Elena, "the day that the lawyers called to tell me that I was going to become your guardian, you know what my first thought was?" Elena looked down at her and shakes her head, "isn't there someone else who can do this?"

Elena looked up at her, tears brimming her eyes, "Jenna, there was no one else who could have gotten me, Em and Jeremy through all of that."

Jenna sighed, "It's just the thought that I almost passed up taking care of you."

"But you didn't." Elena knelt on the ground, "You put your entire life on hold to help us."

Jenna shook her head, "Look around, Elena. I failed you girls." She looked at Emery who was trying her best not to cry, "I failed you. I'm so so sorry—"

"No, you didn't." Emery shook her head, "you helped me. That's all you've ever done. I am the one who failed you." Jenna began shaking her head as if to say that she was wrong but Emery didn't let her continue.

She approached the ring of fire, ignoring the heat as she spoke directly to Jenna, "no, look," she began, "I know I've been the most difficult motherfucker eve—"

"No, don't say that—" Jenna wanted nothing more than to wrap her arms around the girl, "Em, you're not difficult. You're the best person I know. I love you so so much, sweetheart."

Emery looked away from Jenna as she decided to speak again upon remembering recent events. She lowered her voice to a whisper, "and... Don't even think about doing that. Do you understand me? You have so much to live for... so so much to discover."

"It doesn't matter," Emery whispered, clenching her jaw as she stared at the flames that weren't allowing her to hug Jenna for what could be the last time.

"Fuck it," she muttered under her breath before waving her hand in her air, the fire extinguishing in a second. Both Greta and Klaus turned their attention to her but they weren't quick enough as Emery entered and wrapped her arms around the vampire in transition.

Greta was about to use her powers to get rid of Emery but Klaus grabbed her wrist and lowered her hand, muttering a small, "wait," under his breath. The witch huffed but she knew better than to say anything.

Emery hugged Jenna who was trying to control her bloodlust, tears streaming down her face as she tightened her arms around the girl. "I love you so much," she whispered into her neck, "remember that."