69

KLAUS MIKAELSON SIGHED WHEN he heard Emery say, "you said we'd go to Italy so let's go."

"We will," he brushed his paintbrush on the canvas, "just not now."

"Yes, now. You don't understand, you have to get out of this town." Emery grew agitated, "in my dream, it was in this very town that you—"

"— Emery," He cut her off and turned to look at her. His features softening, "love, it was just a dream."

"I've never had just a dream." She argued, "I don't want to see you dead."

"I'm immortal," there was a hint of amusement in his tone which sent her further on edge. "I can't be killed."

"That's what every single person in every single movie ever says and guess what? They somehow always end up dead." She pointed out, "and besides, the stakes out there say the otherwise."

"Nothing will happen to me," Klaus shot her a look, "nobody can hurt me. I'll see it coming even more now than you've warned me."

The witch let out a scoff as she leaned back in her seat. "I hope you're right."

When they heard footsteps, they both stopped talking and turned to the doorway to find Rebekah walking in. Klaus turned back to his painting, "what took you so long?"

"Alaric didn't want to hand over the stake," the blonde original entered further. She showed him the stake, "luckily, I'm quite the charmer."

"That's it?"

"The last of the white oak stakes that can kill us," Rebekah confirmed, handing it to him, "do you want to do the honors or shall I?"

Klaus placed his paintbrush aside and grabbed the stake before tossing it in the fireplace. Klaus glanced at Emery who was watching it burn with a strange sensation in her gut. Something was not right, she could feel it as she flickered her eyes to Rebekah. But she couldn't place her hand on what exactly.

"Well, that's it, then." The blonde vampire smiled at her brother.

"Pack your bags. We're leaving."Klaus said surprisingly both the witch and the vampire. While Emery instantly felt relieved, Rebekah was surprised.

"Today?" She asked without turning back around.

"Why not?" Klaus continued to paint, "nothing's keeping us here. We'll grab the doppelgänger and be off by sunset."

"Wait—" Emery frowned as Klaus bit his tongue upon realising his slip. "Grab the doppelgänger?"

"Not now, Emery."

Her frown deepened at his tone. "You said you wouldn't bring her along."

"I just need her blood, that's it." The hybrid sighed, "you said I don't have to give up on my hybrid army, did you not? Well, the doppelgänger is the only way for me to make my hybrids." She opened her mouth, ready to say something when he swiftly spoke up again before she could, "we'll tie her up and leave her in some basement, draw her blood out when necessary."

She blinked at the seriousness in his voice. "I don't think you get it."

"Explain it to me then," Klaus muttered, "why can't I drag her with us? You told me I could—"