78

THE SOUND OF the front door opening made Emery reluctantly get up from the bed.

She walked down the stairs, her fingers brushing against the railings as she did so. Her stomach grumbled, having been empty for the past few hours she was lying motionless on the bed, staring at the ceiling.

She frowned at the opened front door, yet she couldn't see anyone around. "Rebekah?" She could only assume that it was her. "Is that you?" When she received no reply, she became alerted.

She jumped when she heard a noise coming from the kitchen. Pursing her lips, she began taking slow cautious steps in the direction. "Whoever you are, I'm really not in the mood—" she cut herself off, yelping when a pair of hands wrapped themselves around her front behind, caging her arms within his own so she wouldn't be able to move.

She was about to use her magic and shove the person off when she froze as his lips brushed against her ear, his hot breath hitting her skin. Her body shuddered at the familiarity and she could not bring herself to push him away. She inhaled sharply when his finger brushed against her arm. Then she blinked, snapping out of her trance.

Just as she was about to move, he spoke, his voice just above a whisper, "missed me?" Her heart skipped a beat.

His hand released her arm so she could turn around and as she did, her heart now raced with anticipation. She wasn't sure she was breathing anymore when her eyes met the familiar ones— ones she thought she'd never see again.

Klaus stood before her with a smile that warmed her soul. Tears welled up in her eyes as a mix of joy, uncertainty, and fear washed over her. She was happy but at the same time, she couldn't help but feel unsure. Maybe the universe was playing a prank on her. She thought. It hated her enough to do so.

The hybrid said nothing but stared at her. He should've told her about his plan, but he didn't have the time to. He hated doing that to her, knowing how she'd feel.

"You died," she finally breathed out, a tear from her eyes falling, "I felt it." Her lips trembled as, with shaky hands, she reached out and touched his face with uncertainty. He didn't move and let her.

"I didn't," he muttered, "not exactly." Emery paid no attention to his words as she trailed her fingers down the side of his face, a proof she needed for herself that he was, in fact, real. Klaus's lips twitched in amusement, "if you're done feeling my face up, there are other areas that I'd prefer—"

He was cut off when she threw her arms around him and embraced him tightly, as if afraid that he might disappear again. "So, you missed me then," he smiled when her grip tightened around him. The scent of his cologne enveloped her senses when he reciprocated her hug.

"You're here," she whispered against his shirt, "you're not dead. You're here."

"I am," he tightened his grip even more around her, "I'll always be. I'll always come back to you, love. No matter what." He buried his face in her hair, breathing in her scent. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about what I had planned."

"Screw that," Emery waved it off, "I don't care. You're here—" she felt her tears soak his shirt, "that's all that matters."

The world around them faded away as they held each other, finding solace in each other's arms. They stood like that for what seemed like an eternity, lost in their own bubble of emotions. Words were unnecessary; their reunion spoke volumes. It was as if their souls had found their way back to one another, reaffirming the profound love they shared. As the intensity of their embrace gradually subsided, they finally broke apart. He reached out to wipe the tears on her face while their eyes remained locked.

He gave her a small teasing smile, "tell me something— all those hours alone in our room, what were you thinking about, hmm?" He brushed his lips against her forehead, "what to write on my headstone?"

"Maybe," she didn't dare to look away from him when he looked at her again. She couldn't bring herself to. "Please," she swallowed harshly, slowly shaking her head, resulting in all traces of amusement disappearing from his face. "Please, don't leave me ever again. I can't—"

He didn't let her finish her sentence as placed a hand on the side of her neck and lowered his lips to hers. He kissed her deeply, slipping his tongue inside almost instantly as his other hand went to rest on her lower back, pulling her impossibly closer to him. The witch wrapped her arms around his neck, her fingers tangling themselves in his hair while she kissed him back.

He groaned into her mouth when she accidentally pushed her hips into his, and her entire face heated up although it was nothing new. They slowly the kiss, breathing heavily against each other's lips.

"I'll never," Klaus spoke, his voice raspy as he stared at her, "never leave you. No matter what."

"You'd better," the witch placed a kiss under his jaw, "I love you."

The smile that overtook his lips was breathtaking. He leaned in again and sucked on her lower lip making her grip his hair. "I love you," he whispered, "I'm so in love with you."

She smiled, her eyes closing when he sucked harder on her bottom lip, slightly biting it before tugging on it. However, before either of them could get further, footsteps echoed in the house, forcing them apart.

Klaus ran a hand through his hair, letting out an irritated sigh when Rebekah walked in, looking rather pissed and not surprised at all at the fact that her brother was alive.

She merely raised her brows at the two and flashed a smile at the witch, "can you give us a few minutes? Nik and I need to talk."

Emery glanced at Klaus then nodded at her before she walked out of the room, giving the two some privacy and having absolutely no idea of what was about to go down between the siblings.

⎯⎯ ✧˖*°☽࿐
I still can't get over the fact that this book has hit 1M reads like what– I never thought it would reach that much to be honest 😭 Thank you so much, I literally love you!!!! 🫶🏻