75

EMERY HAD EXPECTED to see Klaus on the bed beside her when she woke up after a very well needed sleep.

She was exhausted due to their prior activities. She could barely get a word out when they were done, and fell asleep almost immediately. The last thing she could remember was Klaus pulling her close to him, and hugging her as she'd sleep.

Glancing at the clock, she sighed when she noticed that she was out for over four hours. The witch decided to get up and went to take a shower before putting on some casual clothes then she went to look for Klaus.

As Emery groggily descended the staircase, an ominous stillness hung in the air, causing her heart to quicken with unease. Every step she took echoed ominously in the seemingly empty house, amplifying her growing apprehension.

"Klaus?" Her eyes darted around the room, desperately seeking any sign of life or movement. The familiar scent of his cologne should have lingered in the air, but it was absent, heightening her sense of disquiet. The absence of his warm presence in the house felt like a gaping void, sending shivers down her spine.

She took out her phone and called him. But there was no response. She sent him texts, he usually replied within seconds but he didn't. That worried her even more. She could feel that something was wrong. But she couldn't put her hands on what exactly.

With each passing second, Emery's worry intensified, and her search grew more frantic. She made her way from room to room, her quickened breath echoing through the large mansion but there was no trace of Klaus. The once cozy and familiar space seemed unfamiliar, like a hollow shell.

"Klaus?" She tried again, her voice shaking. All their suitcases were still there, packed and ready for them to grab and leave. "This isn't funny."

The gravity of his absence became overwhelming, weighing heavily upon her heart. Her dream from the other night flashed in front of her eyes making her lower lip tremble. "Please," she didn't know who she was talking to, "be okay."

A profound emptiness consumed her, telling her about what could have possibly happened. She knew he wasn't dead but she knew he wasn't fine either. The sinking sensation in her stomach told her everything she needed to know.

She finally walked in his study. The blood on the ground made her heartbeat accelerate. Her dream had happened in this very room. A shaky breath escaped her as she knelt down, her fingertips lightly touching the red substance on the ground.

A wave of anger and pain rushed through her. She didn't need to think to figure out who was responsible for whatever had happened. She already knew.

Standing up, she quickly made her way out of the house, heading straight to the Gilbert house, not before making an important call to someone.

⎯⎯ ✧˖*°☽࿐

EMERY DIDN'T BOTHER knocking as she swung the door open and walked in. Her eyes instantly find those of Stefan's who was holding a plate.

"Emery," Stefan muttered, "what are you doing here? I mean—"

"— Save it," the witch cut him off, "where's he?"

"Who's he?" Elena asked, her head popping up from the couch. Matt appeared from behind, "oh, hey."

"Klaus," Emery ignored Matt, her eyes darting to Elena, "where is he?"

"Em," Stefan placed the plate aside, "he's fine. Look, let's talk—"

"I don't wanna talk," she waved him off, "I want to know what you have done and where he is. Tell me or so help me god, I will burn this entire house down with all of you in it."