28

EMERY WALKED out of the bar to find Damon leaning against a car, waiting for her. A smile reached his lips at the sight of the witch as he pushed himself off the car.

"Well hello there," he muttered, unable to contain the grin that stretched upon his face. Emery smiled and wasted no time in stepping closer to him before wrapping her arms around the older Salvatore.

Damon's grin widened as her back, "I missed you."

"I missed you more," Emery whispered, tightening her arms around him, "how've you been?"

"Oh, you know, amazing." His voice was dripping with sarcasm, "my best friend and brother disappeared on me. I've never been better, actually."

Emery pulled back from the hug, ensuring he'd see the roll of her eyes that she gave him. He chuckled at her, bringing his hands to cup her face. He stared at her with concern in his eyes, "how have you been? How are you?"

"I'm okay," she muttered, "you ask me that everyday."

"You lie to me everyday," Damon pointed out, his thumb softly tracing the skin under her eyes, "you seem tired."

"I'm not."

"Sure," he shot her a look, "Elena's here, talking to Stefan. Would you like to see her? She wants to see you."

"No, she doesn't." Emery mumbled with a shake of her head, "y'know I think she's rather glad that I left."

"You know that's not true—"

"— No, you know that's true." Emery retorted, "it's whatever though. I don't wanna see her. I should go back. Klaus's gonna suspect my disappearance."

"Screw him," Damon stood beside her and swung his arm over her shoulder, "let's go in together."

Emery shot him a look, "no, idiot, don't be stupid."

"I'm not being stupid," he rolled his eyes, let's go." He began walking towards the entrance, dragging her with him, "my idea sounds fun."

She sighed, knowing it was futile to try to get the older Salvatore to change his mind. She found herself entering the bar with Damon's arm around her shoulders. Klaus had his back facing them as he sat on the same chair he was sitting earlier with his drink in front of him. He looked deep in thoughts until Damon slumped on the chair beside him while Emery stood beside him, not wanting to go sit next to Klaus since it was the only available seat.

The hybrid didn't bother looking at Damon, "I see they've opened the doors to the riffraff now."

"Oh, honey," Damon began, "I've been called worse."

Klaus hummed, a forced smile on his lips as he twirled the small umbrella in his glass between his fingers. "You don't give up, do you?"

"Give me my brother and my best friend back, you'll never have to see me again."

"Well, I am torn," Klaus said, glancing at Emery briefly, "you see, I promised Stefan I wouldn't let you die, but how many freebies did I really sign up for? And clearly you want to die, otherwise you wouldn't be here, so..."

"What can I say?" Damon asked, "I'm a thrill-seeker."

In one swift move, Klaus extended his hand and grabbed Damon's throat making Emery jump slightly at the sudden move. Klaus stood up and lifted Damon off the floor by the throat with one arm.

"Let him go!" Emery exclaimed, her eyes widening as she stared at her best friend who was struggling to breathe. He tried to say something but it only came out in grunts.

"Oh, dear, what was that?" Klaus mocked, placing a toothpick near Damon's neck, "I'm boozey, so you'll forgive me if I miss your heart the first few tries."

Klaus then stabbed Damon in the stomach with the toothpick and he let out a small grunt of pain.

"Oh," Klaus muttered, faking a frown, "no, that's not it. Hmm—" He stabbed him again and Damon grunted in pain once more. Klaus smirked, "oh, almost." He then angled the the toothpick upwards towards his heart.

Emery bit her lip at the sight. Before she knew it, she had extended her hand forward and Klaus's wrist snapped. He let out a small hiss of pain, roughly throwing Damon backwards, sending him crashing on top of a table thus breaking it.

The hybrid shot Emery a look, his jaw clenching. "What the fuck?"

"What the fuck?" Emery repeated, trying to ignore how hot the curse sounded coming from him. "You were about to kill my best friend!"

"You want a partner in crime?" Damon interrupted their talk before Klaus could say anything, "forget them. I'm so much more fun."

Emery bit her tongue to prevent herself from killing the older Salvatore herself. He just didn't know when to quit. Klaus snapped his wrist back in place, giving the witch a warning look. Before she could register what was happening, Klaus vamp-sped towards Damon and ripped a part of a chair off then crouched over him. "You won't be any fun after you're dead."

With one hand he held Damon down and with the other he raised the stake. Emery just stood there and stared at the stake making it catch fire resulting in Klaus dropping it with a grunt.

He turned to look at her in disbelief, "really?"

"She did great. And not in my bar," Gloria spoke as she joined them, "you take it outside."

Damon tried to sit up but Klaus pushed him back down and gave him a look, "you don't have to negotiate your brother's freedom. When I'm done with him, he won't want to go back. And as for Emery, she likes being here. You don't ever have to worry about her, she's in safe hands."

Damon's eyes darted to Emery at what Klaus said. He raised his brows at the witch who only sighed on response, feeling tired already. Klaus took his hand off Damon and walked over towards her. "We need to talk."

"No, we don't."

"Yes, we do." He wrapped his fingers around her wrist, "don't argue with me, love. Come on."

"Where are you taking her?" Damon was quick to ask, frowning at the hybrid as he glared at his hand wrapped around hers, "you better not hurt her or I swear I'll—"

"— Damon," Emery cut him off, giving him a reassuring look, "it's okay. I'll be fine. You should go back."

"I—"

"Listen to her," Klaus added, cutting him off with a mocking stare, "when I get back, you best be gone." With that, he tugged Emery towards the direction of the restroom.