77

EMERY RETURNED TO Klaus's mansion, her heart feeling heavy. She wanted to scream and do burn everything in her path. But she didn't.

She felt her curse again, back in the forest. She felt herself getting unlinked from Klaus which led her to believe that he was dead. She felt a hole, like there was something blank inside her.

However, as she walked in his house, she could no longer feel it. But that didn't ease her mind. Although her nose had stopped bleeding and she could feel her strength returning, she couldn't stop thinking about the pain she had felt earlier. He was dead, she felt it and she didn't know otherwise.

Tears continued to fall from her eyes as she walk up the stairs to their bedroom. He had hung the portrait of her in there and had been planning on working on another which would contain both of them— he had even asked Emery to help him so they'd do it together.

The witch sat down on the bed and lowered her head in her palms, her hands being coated with tears. She was finally truly happy after years, but that had been taken away from her. Like every other good thing in her life.

"Emery," Rebekah's voice filled her ears making her look up to find her standing at the door. She didn't walk in, she just stood there. "I— I did something," Rebekah paused, "I did something to Elena."

"What?" Emery didn't think she could care less about what Rebekah had to say. Her unbothered and distant tone said as much to the original vampire.

"I killed her." Rebekah's admission hung in the air. Emery's eyes widen ever so slightly before her shoulder fell and she sighed, "sucks for her." Elena was the reason Klaus was gone. Emery didn't care anymore.

"Watch Damon and Stefan bring her back somehow," her chuckle at her own joke was humorless. She wasn't even sure that was a joke. The witch was willing to bet that she would see the doppelgänger again.

"I thought you'd be mad," Rebekah's shoulders sagged in relief. "I mean, she's your sister, or something after all."

"I've stopped caring about her for a while now," Emery allowed her back to fall on the bed as she stared blankly at the ceiling, "why should I when she doesn't?"

"True," the blonde muttered, looking at the witch with nothing but sadness and sympathy. She had seen how Emery and her brother were close. Rebekah had spent years with the hybrid, and she had never seen a girl affect him quite like Emery did.

What they shared was special and everybody knew that. Very little cared, though.

The ones who Emery thought would have cared, her own friends, didn't. And the ones who, never in a million years she thought would ever become her friends, did. It made the witch realise with who her loyalty lied.

"I'll leave you to it then," Rebekah backed away, "if you need anything, call me." She didn't bother waiting for a reply as she left, knowing she was not going to get one and she didn't blame Emery. Had she been in her place, she would've wanted to be left alone too.

Emery's phone ringing made her bit back an irritated scowl. She was about to hang up when she saw the name. Hesitantly, she answered the call.

"Elena's dead," Damon's voice filled the silence.

Emery bit down hard on her lower lip. "Karma's a bitch, huh? Looks like we both lost our lovers today."

"Em—" Damon tried to speak but he was abruptly cut off by her. "— No, don't 'Em' me. I fucking hate you, Damon. I hate you. I will never forgive you for what you and the others did."

"I—"

"You went ahead and fucked up even after what I told you—" Emery took a deep breath, "even after you knew about my feelings for him."

"He was bleeding Elena dry!" Damon exclaimed on the other side, "what was I supposed to do? Let him kill her?"

"He wasn't going to kill her," the witch shook her head even though the vampire couldn't see her. "You overreacted."

"Are you hearing yourself?" Damon scoffed, "I overreacted? The guy's a literal psychopath!"

"Says you," Emery mumbled, "he was going to let her go after. She was gonna be fine but no, you had to intervene because god forbid some shit happens to Elena, right?"

"It's not like that."

"Save me the fucking lies," the witch gripped her phone harder, "go find a way to bring Elena back to life. Bet you already have, haven't you?" At Damon's silence, she let out a huff, "you've turned her."

"She had vampire blood in her system before she died," Damon revealed, a loud sigh leaving him, "look, Em, please, don't be mad. I messed up, okay? I'm sorry about Klaus. That was never part of the plan."

"Oh, right, the plan was to toss him in the Atlantic Ocean," Emery's tone was dripping with sarcasm, "that makes it so much better."

Damon winced at her tone. "How many times do I have to apologise?"

"No more," the witch muttered, "your apologies are about as useless and unnecessary as yourself."

"Woah," Damon breathed out, "that's a little bit harsh, even for you. Don't you think?" He was met with silence. The older Salvatore groaned, "don't be like that, Em. We're best friends, aren't we? You know I fuck up like all the time. Are you seriously going to hate me forever?"

"Yes."

"Oh, come on," Damon cut himself off, "alright, you know what? I gotta now for now. Elena's waking up. But I'll make it up to you, I promis—" Emery didn't bother letting him finish as she hung up.