37

THEY FOUND OUT THAT Elena was required to be dead for Klaus to be able to make hybrids.

But Emery doubted that so she didn't hesitate to voice out her thoughts to the hybrid who actually took her words into consideration and ended up coming with a theory.

That was how the he found himself entering the classroom where the others were with the witch in his arms.

Luckily for Emery, Bonnie didn't question anything or judge her when she saw her being carried around by Klaus since she knew she was probably feeling unwell. She understood that. She did tell Klaus to leave her there but he refused, saying he needed her. Emery assured Bonnie that it was okay and she hesitantly dropped it.

As they entered the classroom, Klaus refrained himself from rolling his eyes at the smug look Rebekah sent him and ignored the confused look Caroline was giving them.

The moment he slowly set Emery back on the ground, Caroline approached her and wrapped her arms around her, "oh my god, I missed you."

"Missed you too."

"I thought you didn't take your phone with you. I called you the first day, you didn't answer so I didn't know," she immediately said, "I'm sorry."

Emery brushed aside her excuse with a nod, "it's fine." She had nothing against Caroline. Her phone was dead that day and she didn't see the missed calls.

"Well, the verdict's in," Klaus spoke up making all of them look at him, "the original witch says the doppelgänger should be dead."

Rebekah quickly stood up, an excited smile on her face, "does that mean we can kill her?"

"No," the hybrid shook his head, glancing at Emery who was standing beside Caroline with her arms around her, mostly to hold herself up. "I'm fairly certain it means the opposite."

"What?" Caroline muttered in confusion only for Rebekah to approach her so she could hold her back in case she tried anything.

"Call it a hunch," Klaus mumbled, leaning against the table on which Tyler had his head on. He showed a test tube containing blood to him, "Elena's blood. Drink it."

"No!" Caroline shouted, letting go of Emery who stood still, watching the scene unfold while Rebekah wrapped her arms around the blonde from behind to hold her back as she continued to scream, "no, no, no, Tyler, don't!"

"If he doesn't feed, he'll die anyway, love," Klaus spoke, staring at Tyler, "consider this an experiment." There was a few seconds of silence as the werewolf seemed to be having a mental battle with himself. "It's okay," Klaus assured Tyler who was looking hesitantly at the test tube

"I can't—"

"It's gonna be fine," Emery cut in, looking at her friend who had tears in her eyes. "Take my word for it." Klaus raised his brows at her words, a small smile stretching on his lips. That was when he knew it was going to work out.

Caroline sniffled as Tyler nodded before finally grabbing the test tube and drank the whole content.

"There we go," he grinned at Tyler, "good boy."

The latter began coughing as he rolled over the desk, shoving all the glasses and stuff on the ground before he fell to the floor as well, screaming and groaning and writhing. Blood spluttered out of his mouth while Caroline gasped at that, more tears running down her face.

Klaus walked towards Emery who was standing in a corner, watching the scene unfold. "Are you getting a good feeling about this, little witch?"

She hummed, "I— I think."

"You think?" He repeated, letting out a loud sigh, "all right, fine. I'll take it."

They all watched as Tyler held his head and screamed, his head facing the ceiling. But then he removed his hand from his face, revealing the change. His eyes turned yellow and he had fangs present and veins under his eyes.

Klaus grinned victoriously, bending down to his level, "well, that's a good sign." He lifted his head and looked at Emery, his smile still on his face which made her give him one back. For some reason, she was happy for him even though she probably shouldn't be. But she couldn't help herself.

|•|

Emery was leaning against the hood of the car on which Rebekah was lying on while Klaus was standing and watching them.

He slowly approached Emery, placing a hand beside her on the hood as he leaned close, completely ignoring Rebekah's presence. "How do you feel? Better?"

"A little."

"Can you walk normally now?" His questions earned a laugh from the blonde vampire.

"Why wouldn't she be able to walk norm—" her eyes widened as she snapped her head towards them, "wait a minute. Did you two—"

"— No," Emery instantly cut her off, her face flushed, "that's not it."

"I believe you." Rebekah mumbled sarcastically while she bit her lip, clearly embarrassed. "It's really nothing like that."

"Ignore her, love," Klaus chuckled, "she knows, she's just messing with you."

"I'm sorry about that," Rebekah shot her a look full of pity, "it must suck to live like this."

Emery cleared her throat, drifting her eyes away from Rebekah. She didn't like the look she was receiving at all. She didn't want to be pitied. "It's fine," she looked back at Klaus, "and to answer your question, I can. I've walked all the way back here."

"Oh, I would hardly call that walking—"

"— Wait," she interruped him, faking a groan as she dramatically held her head, "shit, I can't hear what you're saying. That's just too bad."

"You're such a child."

"You're expired."

"I think you meant experienced." The glint in his eyes and smirk on his lips told Emery everything she had to know. "And I wouldn't mind showing you just how much—"

"Stop it, both of you," Rebekah interrupted the two. They rolled their eyes at her as Klaus turned to her. Rebekah tilted her head to the side, thinking about earlier, "so the doppelgänger isn't the problem, her blood is the solution."

"Seems so."

"How did you know?"

"Well, you know how much the original witch hated me," Klaus responded, glancing briefly at Emery who was playing with the rings on her fingers. "Do you honestly think I would do anything other than the opposite of what she says?"

"A thousand years in the grave and she's still screwing with you."

"Well, it makes sense if you think about it from her perspective," Klaus said with a small shrug. His hand reached out to the necklace around Emery's neck and he began toying with it. She said nothing as he continued to speak, "it was her fail-safe in case I ever broke the hybrid curse. The doppelgänger had to die in order for me to become a hybrid, but if she was dead."

"Then you couldn't use her blood to sire yourself a new species."

"Leaving me alone for all time."

"Is that what this is about?" Rebekah asked, "your obsession with hybrids? You just don't want to be alone?"

"What I want is to take my witch, take the doppleganger, take my hybrid the hell out of this one-pony town," he shot Rebekah a brief glance, "you know, why don't you, uh, why don't you get the truck? I'll get Elena."

With a sigh, Rebekah walked off, not before winking subtly at Emery who decided to ignore it. Klaus opened the locket and stared at the picture again, "I've been thinking about this."

"This?" She repeated with confusion, "what do you mean? My necklace?"

"The picture," he clarified, brushing his finger on the image, "your mother. I think I knew—"

"— Emery?" A familiar voice made them turn their heads to it's direction to find Damon standing there.

"Well, look who finally decided to show up to the party."