11

EMERY STARED AT herself in the mirror, her hands reaching out to straighten the black dress she had on.

Bloodshot red eyes were staring back at her as if taunting her. She was the one dying but Jenna was the one dead. Her fingers gripped the edge of the sink as she lowered her head, taking a deep shuddering breath, assuring herself that everything was going to be okay. But she knew that was lie.

The door to her room clicked open making her walk out of the bathroom to see Elena who was also wearing a dress standing beside Jeremy who was in a suit.

"Hey," Elena smiled softly at her, "are you ready?"

She only nodded in response. Jeremy sighed before walking towards her and enveloping her in a hug. Emery relaxed in his hold, allowing herself to hug him back, her head against his chest as she sought comfort.

"It's going to be okay," Jeremy mumbled in a soothing tone, "we're there for you– always."

Jeremy was one of the people who didn't know about Emery's condition. Neither did Elena or Jenna or Bonnie or the others except Damon and Stefan who knew her grandmother at some point of their lives. They knew of the infamous curse and Emery made them promise not to tell anyone. The others thought that using her powers would weaken her which was why they didn't want her to use it but they were unaware of the dying part.

Elena smiled at the pair before reaching out to hug them both as well. She wrapped her arms around her siblings, a small smile on her face as she felt somewhat find after everything that had happened the previous day.

Emery was told that they were unable to kill Klaus as Elijah decided to betray them by saving him in the end. A part of the witch knew that Elijah would've never done it– killed his brother. They were family, after all.

The three broke the hug and parted away from each other before they decided to go at the cemetery.

Emery walked with Damon, Jeremy, Stefan, Elena, Bonnie, Caroline and Alaric towards the gravestones with a single rose in her hand. She fiddled with the thin stem of the flower as she neared Jenna's gravestone.

Elena bent down and placed a rose in front of Jenna's grave then stood up to do the same with John's while Emery kept her eyes fixed on Jenna's name which was engraved on the gravestone, unable to find herself move forward to drop the flower.

Damon noticed the girl's hesitation and found himself placing a hand on the small of her back as he leaned in, "it's okay, go on."

With a sharp intake of breath, she took another step forward and bent down before placing the rose in front of the gravestone. She didn't stand up instantly as she allowed her fingers to trace the engraving of Jenna's name.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't save you." She whispered, unaware that Damon heard. The older Salvatore let out a sigh of his own when Emery got back up on her feet and turned to face him, having noticed his rigid stance. She could also sense that he was on edge, "are you okay?"

"Am I okay?" Damon repeated, half-amused, half-confused, "are you? I'm not the one who lost anyone."

"i just–" Emery paused and tilted her head to the side, "– there's something off about you."

"Nothing's wrong," he lied straight through his teeth but the witch wasn't buying it. Her frown deepened, "idiot, are you lying to me?"

"Nope," he lied again, "never."

"No?" Emery raised her brows, taking a step forward before placing a hand above the werewolf bite on his arm through his sleeve. Damon visibly winced, his eyes widening, "how did you–"

"– I can sense it when something's wrong among other things," she mumbled, dropping her hand to her side. "Come with me," without giving him the chance to retaliate, she grabbed his hand and dragged him along with her, away from the others.

Once they were far enough, she tugged on his sleeve, "roll this shit up."

"Shit," Damon repeated her words with a roll of his eyes, "where did all your manners go, hmm?"

"Stop trying to change the subject," Emery crossed her arms earning a groan from him as he did as he was told and rolled up his sleeve just a little, enough to show her the bite. He narrowed his eyes at her face, seeing when a surprised look crossed her features. "Werewolf bite, I'm assuming."

"Yep," he rolled his sleeve back down, hiding the bite, "I'm dying– again. Guess I'm going before you, huh?"

"You're not dying," she shook her head, refusing to let yet another person she loved die. "No, there's gotta be a wa—"

"— Em, stop." Damon interrupted her mid-sentence. His hands reached out to cup her face, "listen to me, there's no cure, okay? This is a werewolf bite. Rose died, remember? I'm no different."

"There is always a solution," she murmured, "I'm going to find it even if it's the last thing I do."

"No, no, look I've got an idea." Damon began, "you care about me, right?" Once she nodded, he continued, "well, that's it. I'm dying anyway so why don't you kill me? You know, it might break your curse and save me a painful death. It's a win–win."

Her eyes widened at his suggestion. While it could work, she found herself shook her head, "a–are you insane? No! No, I'm not doing t—"

"— You are still eighteen," Damon attempted to resonate, "you've yet to even live. Come on, be smart."

"I'll be smart," Emery nodded to herself, "and save you."

"Fuck's sake," he cursed under his breath, letting his hands drop to his side, "there's no saving me."

"There is," she was sure of herself, "there's got to be."