32

EMERY WATCHED AS Gloria took a deep breath, her fingers interlocking on her lap as she prepared herself to get into the details. The younger witch slowly sipped on the drink she had been offered while waiting.

She knew that no matter what Gloria was about to tell her, she was not going to let her hopes up. But she was willing to hear her anyway out of curiosity.

"See, your great-grandmother was in love with a vampire. And as you know, vampires are somewhat immortal. They can't get sick, they heal and whatnot."

"And?"

"Well..." Gloria looked down at her hands, "I linked her life to his. I mean like, if he dies, she dies but if she dies, he doesn't. I thought it would work, we all did and it did— at least, for a while."

"But what?"  Emery asked, knowing there was a 'but' coming considering the fact that there always is.

"The curse was too strong," the older witch revealed, "the witch who placed that curse on your family must've hated them a lot. She must've been incredibly powerful as well. Point is, the link only managed to extend Emilie's life for a while. It didn't hold, it couldn't."

"Okay then what makes you think it's gonna work for me?" The younger witch asked, tilting her head to the side. Her brows were raised with curiosity, "I'm not in love with a vampire therefore—"

"— No, but better." Gloria immediately cut her off, a grin stretching on her lips which had Emery's eyes widening at the insinuation.

"I— what?" Shock was registered upon her features, "no, that's— that's not it. I'm not in love with him, I just— I just like him, I think— we only kissed twice!"

Gloria only chuckled at her reaction, "you're cute. The bond between you two is actually stronger than you think."

"What—" she paused, "what do you mean by that?"

"You think it's a coincidence that you feel like you want to be close with him?" Gloria questioned, raising her brows ever so slightly. Before Emery could answer, she went on, "absolutely not. Nothing is ever a coincidence in our world. Everything happens for a reason. Klaus might just be your cure."

"My cure?" She repeated, scoffing at the absurdity of the thought. "Look, you seem to know what you're talking about but somehow I can't find it in me to believe you so like why don't you just forget about me and focus on—"

"— I can link your life to him," Gloria cut her off, "it will extend your life span, Emery. Don't you want that? Live? Come on, he's the original hybrid, he's literally immortal. He can't die and if you're linked to him, you won't die either. You'll be able to live."

"Don't do that," the younger witch mumbled, shaking her head at Gloria who raised her brows in confusion at her words. "Don't do what?"

"This," she spoke, "giving me hope that maybe I won't drop dead like my mom did. I've accepted the fact that I can't be saved, all right? I don't need this bullshit. Excuse my language."

"I believe it will work," Gloria insisted, "I want to help you, I really do. You're still so young and I will feel really bad if I had a way to help you and I didn't." When she noticed the unsure look on her face, she went on, "and even if it doesn't work out in the end, at least you won't have to worry about dying anytime soon."

After a moment of silence, Emery bit her lower lip. She let out a shaky breath, "even if I did agree, Klaus would never."

The older witch chuckled at that. "I don't think you see the way he looks at you."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Emery licked her dry lips, "I barely know him. He killed my aunt and sister and—" she paused when realisation hit her again, "and I'm messing around with him. Oh my god, I'm such a bad person— wait but like he apologised so that counts for something right? I mean, I —"

"— Calm down," Gloria cut her off with a chuckle, clearly amused by her reaction. "You're doing nothing wrong. The heart wants what it wants. And two months is quite a long time. And he apologised too, I don't think he's ever done that before. My point is, if you talk to him about it, he will agree and we can do the spell when he gets back."

"Wait" she paused, "but then I'll have to give him a reason which means telling him about the curse which I'm not going to do."

Gloria hummed, biting her lips in thought. Before she could come up with an idea, Stefan walked right back through the door. Both the witches snapped their heads in his direction to find him walking towards them.

Gloria smirked at him, "there you are."

"Thought you were resting," Stefan commented, his eyes flickering briefly to Emery.

Gloria shrugged, still smirking, "well, now we both have a secret."

"Wait," Emery cut in, confused, "what are you talking about?"

"What did you see?"

"It's what I heard that's interesting," Gloria turned to face him fully, "you two know, the girls with the necklace, they were talking about you."

"Yet you didn't tell Klaus. Why?

"'Cause I wouldn't help that hybrid half-breed with anything," Gloria muttered making Emery's eyes widen at her harsh tone. The older witch was quick to look at her, "but you, I'll help. Don't worry, I meant it. The necklace is a talisman from the original witch herself. I want it."

"Well, I'm sorry," Stefan clicked his tongue, "I can't help you."

"Don't be difficult," Gloria chuckled, "you know, I'd hate to have to tell Klaus what a liar his sidekicks are." Stefan rushed over to her but before he could get to her, Gloria raised her hand which made him drop to his knees, holding his head as he screamed in pain.

Emery turned to the older witch, sending her crashing into a table. Gloria winced in pain, flashing a glare at Emery before she chuckled, "oh, come on, darling you're really going to waste your energy on me?"

"I'm not letting you hurt my friend."

"I'm the only one who can help you here," Gloria said, "all I'm asking is for the talisman. Don't make me hurt you, I really don't want to."

"I can't let you hurt him," Emery extended her hand forward and was about to perform yet another spell on her when her eyes rolled to the back of her head before she found herself stumbling backwards. She frowned in confusion, "what— what's wrong with me?"

"Ah, sorry," Gloria clicked her tongue, "the drink I offered you earlier. I just knew you were going to be trouble later on."

"Oh, fuck you—"

"— I really wanted to help you though," Gloria muttered, "maybe after all of this, I will. You know where to find me," those were the last words she heard before she fell unconscious.