21

KLAUS STARED AT the unmoving girl in his arms with nothing but concern and fear. He didn't know what to do, he had a few ideas of what was wrong with her in his head but he didn't want to come to terms with it. For once, he didn't want to be right.

"Want some water?" He questioned her, his tone softer than ever. Emery only hummed in response, feeling her throat all dried up and hurting.

"Okay then," Klaus cleared his throat, "stand up for me. Come on."

"Okay," she repeated with a nod but didn't move. The hybrid sighed in response and decided to lift her up. Placing a hand under her legs and another on her back, he effortlessly lifted her off the ground, carrying her in bridal style towards the wooden lodge.

He carefully placed her on it and grabbed the bottle of water which was right beside her, opening it and placing it hear the lips. "Open up," he muttered and she obeyed, parting her lips while he held the back of her neck with a hand and the bottle of water with his other hand, helping her drink.

Once she was done, he closed the bottle and placed it aside before sitting beside her, his hand still around her to ensure that she wouldn't lose her balance and end up falling backwards. "How are you feeling?"

"Like shit." Her voice was raspy earning a hum from him as he ran his hand through her hair, "are you in pain?" When he received a hum of confirmation from her, he asked, "where?"

"My head," he could barely hear what she was saying, "and— my throat. My hands too and m–my ears as well and my—" she tightened her grip on his shirt, "everything hurts."

"You're going to be just fine," Klaus muttered, holding her tighter than before, he thought it would help, he didn't really know what he was doing. He wanted to help her though, he was ready to do anything to make it stop.

"Everybody keeps saying that," she breathed out a small chuckle, one that was humourless, "I just don't get why they would lie."

"Emery?" When he received a hum from her, he continued, "can I ask you something?"

"Have at it."

"Are you..." He took a deep breath, "are you sick?"

"Mentally or physically?" She asked back, still not looking at him. She kept her face nuzzled in the crook of his neck. When Klaus said nothing, she assumed he meant both so she replied, "you could say that I am."

"Is that why your friends do not want you using your magic?" The hybrid asked yet another question. She nodded against him but decided not to go further.

"How do you feel now?" He asked, his fingers playing with the strands of her hair, "better?" She nodded again which made his lips twitch up slightly in relief, "that's good."

"I'm sorry," she was quick to say once her eyes landed on a body a few feet away from her. Klaus frowned in confusion, his brows arching, "what for?"

"Them," she pointed towards the bodies, "I know how much you wanted this. You must be feeling like shit right now."

"Feeling like shit," he repeated with a breathless chuckle as he nodded against her head, "well, yes, I am but not more than you, definitely. I just have to find out what went wrong then I'll fix it."

"How wil you find that out?"

"I know a witch," he replied simply, "she can definitely help me or at least, I'm hoping."

"Klaus?"

"Hmm?"

"How did I know—" she paused, lifting her head to look at him, "how did I know that something was going to happen?" He furrowed his brows at her question and ended up giving her a shrug, "no idea. Maybe it's a witch feeling?"

"No," she muttered with a shake of her head, "I only get those feelings when I'm near you. It's like with the dr—" she bit her tongue to prevent herself from spilling further.

Klaus caught up on what she did and raised his brows, "like with the what?"

"Nothing. Where's Stefan?"

"Emery," he refrained himself from rolling his eyes as he turned her head to look at him, making sure to keep it facing him as he looked into her eyes, "tell me." He wasn't compelling her, he was just trying to intimidate her, "what were you about to say? Hmm?"

"Nothing—"

"— Dreams?" He inquired further, "like with the dreams? I know you've been having them, love. No need to hide it. It's okay—"

"— Is it?" She cut him off with a huff, "no, I don't think it is. I keep seeing you and it's weird. You're always either killing someone or sacrificing my aunt all over again while I'm just standing there, being as pathetically weak as ever and watch you doing it."

Klaus bit his lip at her words, feeling slightly uncomfortable. Before he could say anything, she continued, "and then there's— there's this blonde woman. I've never seen her before."

That made him frown, "what blonde woman?" He kept his eyes on her, "how does she look like?"

"She's, I don't know, pretty?" Emery looked unsure, "I don't know. I couldn't see her that well but she... she was in a coffin. She talks to me. I— I hear her voice sometimes."

Klaus tried not to let his anxiousness show as he asked, "what does she say?"

"Find me," Emery repeated the woman's words, "and that's it. She'll just say those two words."

"I'm sure it's nothing," Klaus brushed her off even though he knew very well that it was anything but. He reached out to grab a bottle as he chugged down the content while waiting for Stefan, his arms still around the witch. "Don't worry about it."