49

TW : SELF HARM AND MENTIONS OF SUICIDE.

✶⊶⊷⊶⊷❍ - ❍⊶⊷⊶⊷✶

THE WITCH WALKED IN just in time to hear Klaus talking to Tyler. She decided to stay out of the room and listen to their conversation.

"So everything went okay?" Tyler asked the original hybrid who replied casually, "Tony ran down Alaric instead of Jeremy, but apples, oranges, message lands the same."

"You said you are sending them a warning."

"And I did. An effective one!" Klaus smiled, "Elena's family suffers, she is motivated to get me what I want."

"Emery's Elena's family." Tyler reminded him earning a frown from him as he went on, "does that mean you'll hurt her too? Because I won't let you, she doesn't deserve that."

"I won't hurt her," Klaus muttered, his jaw clenched, "don't even go there."

"But you already have. I didn't think that we actually have to kill anyone."

"Tyler, mate," Klaus threw an arm around his shoulder, dismissing his previous words, "what you are feeling is the remnant of a guilty conscience. I need you to get over it, okay? End of the day human life is just a means to an end. Our means to our end. You do well to remember that."

Klaus then turned around and walked out of the room. He went to another room of the house that was still being constructed when Emery walked in, having waited for him to be alone. He stared at her, sighing, "look, I know you're angry—"

"You tried to have my brother killed,"
She frowned, "I'm pissed."

He walked towards her, "let me explain."

"No."

He furrowed his brows at her answer. "What do you mean 'no'?"

"I mean, no," she repeated with a scoff, "there's no good reason as to why you had one of your hybrids run over my brother."

"Stefan has my family," Klaus said simply, "I want them back."

She stared at him in disbelief, "so what, you take on my family instead?"

"Jeremy's fine, isn't he?" Klaus looked unbothered and that was making her uneasy, "Alaric has the ring so he'll be fine too. At the end of the day, nobody's dead. We're fine."

"Wow," she breathed out, disbelief coating her features. "You're a dick."

"I've been called worse, love."

She bit her lip as she stared at him for a few more seconds before she sighed, turning around. She headed for the door when Klaus spoke up, "where are you going?"

Without bothering to look back, she answered, "away from you."

"Em—"

"— Don't," she cut him off with a shake of her head, her voice was barely audible, "I need to be alone." All the reasons why liking him was a bad idea came crashing down on her. She knew that Klaus only acted to his benefit. She realized how stupid she was for thinking he wouldn't hurt people she cared about anymore.

Jeremy was the only person in that house who she truly considered as family. Klaus wanting to kill him even though he was well aware of that fact hurt her more than it should've.

"I'm doing this for my family," Klaus tried to explain either way, "you would've done the same."

"Then you don't know me at all," she breathed out, her back still to him, "I would never hurt someone else for my own gain. I'd find some other way."

"Well, love, that, right there, is what your problem is. When you want something , you have to learn how to take it."

Without bothering to say anything else, she walked away.

Klaus's shoulders fell as he stared at her retreating figure. He didn't call for her or try to stop her again. He knew he had royally messed up. But his family would always come first. He needed them back and he was ready to do anything to have them back.

**

Emery went straight to her room, slamming the door shut behind her. Tears were clouding her vision as walked in her bathroom. Just then, her phone started ringing. She answered it, it was Elena.

"Ric's at the hospital," the doppelgänger informed, "he was coughing up blood earlier. Where were you? At Klaus, no doubt. He could've died, Em. I was alone with him and there was this hybrid from earlier, he came, sent the medics away. Ric would've been dead right now if not for Jeremy who showed up just in time while you were busy with the enemy. You're being selfish, Em.
You can't just think about yourself here. Stop being so pathetic because he's finally giving you the attention that you crave. You have a family who—" Emery cut off the call.

Throwing her phone aside, she shuffled through her drawer for the familiar object.

"You always make the bad choices," she whispered to herself, her hands shaking as the sharp edge came in contact with her skin. Tears streamed down her face, "everyone gets hurt because of you. You're stupid for thinking that—" she paused as the metal dug in her skin, the familiar red substance coming out, "someone would care about you."

Tears fell on her wrist, mixing with the blood. She ignored it. "You're useless," she cut again, "weak," cut, "pathetic. Maybe you should just die right now. Save everyone the wait."

"No," she muttered after a few seconds of staring at what she did on her skin. She tossed the blade away, "no, that would make you seem even more weak." She raised her head and stared at herself in the mirror. Bloodshot eyes looking back at her. "Suicide is the easy way out, Em. Just wait."

✶⊶⊷⊶⊷❍ - ❍⊶⊷⊶⊷✶
I'm sorry. It's gonna get better though.