40

"HELLO, LOVE," the familiar voice rang in her ears the second Emery answered the call.

"Hi," she muttered, ensuring that nobody was eavesdropping. She was at the bonfire but she went to a quiet area to answer the call once she saw who was calling.

"How are you?"

"Fine," she went to sit on the nearest wooden bench, "you?"

"Great," she could tell he was smiling, hearing happiness in his voice, "I've been making hybrids. I've turned a lot of werewolves already. They've all been successful and sired to me. It's all I've ever wanted."

"Well, I'm glad it's working out." She was truly happy for him. She was curious as to who Mikael was considering the fact that she heard Damon say that name. She knew that it was what made Klaus leave so it got her curious although she didn't dare to bring it up, knowing it was none of her business unless the hybrid decided to tell her himself. She wouldn't overstep.

"Me too. How are things there? All good? Is Stefan being nice? Because I told him to listen to you."

"What do you mean?"

"Like," she heard him click his tongue, "if you tell him to sit, he will sit."

"Wait-" Emery's eyes widened, "what?"

"What 'what'? I'm being serious," she heard him chuckle, "try it."

"Stop," Emery laughed at that, unable to believe what she was hearing, "you did not!"

"I did!" He mimicked her tone making her laugh even harder.

"Of course you did," she mumbled once she composed her breathing. "I shouldn't be laughing." She shook her head even though he couldn't see her, "Stefan is my friend, not a puppet although that certainly explains earlier."

"Earlier?" The hybrid repeated, "what happened earlier?"

"He had Ric pressed against a locker-"

"- wait," he interrupted her with a snort, "he had who pressed against what now?"

By his tone, she immediately realised where he was going with this. "It's not what you're thinking!"

"But you don't even know what I'm thinking!" Klaus again, mimicked her tone making her groan. "Say that to anyone and they're going to think the same thing as I did."

"Whatever, let me finish," she rolled her eyes only to flush when he snickered.

"What now- oh my god." She felt the need to hit her head against the closest tree. "I hate you so much."

He started full blown laughing while she sat there, her face as red as it could get. "Okay, okay," Klaus muttered once he stopped, "I'm sorry. I'll let you finish-"

"Shut up."

"What," he snickered again, "I said I'll let you finish."

"You're being so childish," she sighed, unable to fight off the smile that appeared onto her lips.

"Only with you, love." He muttered, finding himself wanting to talk to her forever. He was supposed to be out there, looking for more werewolves to turn but instead, he was in a hotel room, on a bed as he spoke to her as if he had nothing better to do. He knew he had already developed feelings for the witch. He was just reluctant to admit it to both himself and her.

"All right, so I'm going to continue," she cleared her throat earning a hum from him, "Stefan threatened Ric, said some shit about not getting in his way and what-not. Then Elena told him to stop but he didn't. And then I did and he actually listened. It was kinda confusion but it all makes sense now."

"I also told him to keep an eye on you. Keep you safe just in case." He spoke softly, "what are you doing?"

"I'm at the bonfire," she answered, her eyes falling on the original blonde vampire who was sitting alone in front of a fire. "Rebekah's here too. I'm gonna go keep her company. She seems lonely."

"Rebekah," Klaus repeated with a hum, "she likes you."

"I like her too," Emery found herself admitting, "she's badass, pretty, hot, literally everything I want to be."

"What are you talking about?" the hybrid asked, frowning although she couldn't see it, "you already are all that."

"Right."

"No," Klaus mumbled, "we're going to have a talk about this when I get back."

"I'm gonna go keep your sister company now," she spoke, dismissing the previous topic. She heard him sigh on the other end, "alright then, have fun. Tell her I said hi, okay? Bye, love."

"Bye," with that, she hung up. Standing up, she made her way towards Rebekah and sat down beside her. The original flashed her a small smile, "hello there."

"Hi, how was your first day?"

"Surprisingly nice," the blonde shrugged, "although it would've been better if I had seen you at all after history class. But that doesn't matter. I have a more important question for you."

"Shoot."

"Is there anything going on between you and my brother?" She made sure to lower her voice, "because he told me to make sure you don't die and even threatened to send me back in my casket if you get hurt. Now, I'm not daft. I know there's something going on so I think the better question is, do you feel anything for him? Because he sure as hell does for you."

"I-" Emery found herself at loss of words. She finally sighed, "yeah, I think I do."

"You think?" Rebekah repeated with a smirk, "you can give me better than that, pretty one."

"Okay, fine," she groaned, "yes, I do. I do feel something for him. I just... I don't know. I've never been romantically involved with anyone before."

"Wait so does that mean that you're a vi-"

"No," she shook her head, "I'm not."

"But you look so innocent." Rebekah laughed, "who would've thought?"

"It was with some guy around here. I was wasted," she went on, "barely even remember the details." Upon noticing the look on Rebekah's face, she quickly added, "it was consensual though."

The original vampire visibly relaxed, nodding, "good. I really didn't want to get my hands dirty tonight. So why don't you tell me more about yourself?"

The two then indulged themselves in a conversation, unaware of the several pairs of judgemental eyes on the witch.