55

"WHY DON'T YOU tell him?" At Damon's suggestion, Emery raised her brows, confusion filling her features.

"Tell him?" She repeated as if the idea was horrid, "and then what exactly? What happens after I've told him? Live the rest of my life with him pitying me?"

"He'll find a way to save you," the older Salvatore responded, "in case you haven't noticed, that guy is in love with you. He isn't about to just let you die."

"There's no saving me," Emery muttered, biting her inner cheeks as she dismissed the sentence before the last one. She wasn't sure she wanted to be saved at that point. "I told you I'm not about to go kill someone I care about just so I can live."

Damon narrowed his eyes at her, "is that the actual reason or did you just give up? Or is it something else?"

"Let's just go inside," she decided to change the subject, nodding towards the large entrance. They were both standing in front of Klaus's mansion for the ball.

Emery received an invitation earlier during the day along with a dress and a note from Klaus, telling her to save him a dance. Later on, she found out that her friends were invited too which she found surprising.

"Em," Damon gave her a serious look, "you'd tell me if something's troubling you, right?"

"Of course," she muttered, nodding. He furrowed his brows at her for a few seconds before sighing, "all right, let's get this over with."

With her arms linked with Damon's, she walked in. The air was filled with a sense of excitement and anticipation. The room was lit by thousands of twinkling lights, casting a warm glow over everything with a lively and upbeat music playing in the background. The atmosphere was electric, with people laughing and chatting all around.

Klaus's eyes immediately caught sight of the witch the second she entered the mansion. He found himself staring at the red dress she was wearing, made from the highest quality silk. The bodice was fitted, hugging her curves in all the right places, and adorned with delicate beading that catches the light as she moved towards him, having let go of Damon the second her eyes met his. The skirt falling elegantly to the floor, billowing out behind her as she walked, giving her a regal air.

He breathed out when she was finally standing in front of him, her green eyes taking in his own appearance. Klaus grabbed her right hand and brought it near his lips before placing a kiss on her knuckles, his stare never leaving hers, "good evening. You look gorgeous, as always."

She smiled, lifting her hands up to fix his collar, "you look handsome."

"I am handsome," he corrected with a small smile tugging at his lips. "But I'll take the compliment. Thank you, love."

Emery rolled her eyes before remembering something. "Thank you for the dress, I love it."

"I don't believe you," he raised his brows as if calling her out with amusement laced in his voice, "you hate dresses."

"I love this one," she held the same tone, "it's an exception."

"And why is that?"

"Because it was given to me by someone I like."

"Who is that someone you like?" He questioned, feigning confusion as he took a step closer to her. "Do I know him?" His hands went to either side of her waist, pulling her closer. She chuckled, "probably."

He hummed, lowering his head as he placed his lips near her ear. "Describe him to me."

"I've never been a fan of PDA," Rebekah spoke out of nowhere as she cut in their conversation. Emery turned to look at her when she continued, "the dress suits you perfectly. I helped, by the way. His taste is horrible. You would've been wearing a bloody garbage bag right now if not for me so you're welcome."

Klaus rolled his eyes at his sister, however, unable to contain the smile breaking on his lips, "go annoy someone else."

"Why? Emery's my best friend," Rebekah smiled at the witch then at Klaus, "and you're my brother. Annoying you is kind of my job."

"You look great," Emery complimented, looking at the blonde original who broke into a grin at her words, "so do you. We should ditch those boys and keep each other company instead."

"Boys?" Klaus scoffed at the word as if it was an insult. "And Emery's not going anywhere. You go have fun with your boy though."

"Who'd you come here with?" Emery questioned earning a small chuckle from Klaus as he replied with, "the human. Matt. Whatever his name is."

Rebekah was about to say something when Elijah sought everyone's attention, "uh, if everyone could gather, please."

"I'll be right back," Klaus whispered to Emery, "stay here." She only nodded and watched him walk to the stairs with Rebekah. Esther then joined her children who were all standing on the stairs and glanced down at Emery. Her lips twitched up and she nodded in acknowledgment at her.

Emery shivered, feeling chills run down her spine. There was something that was bugging her about Esther. She didn't know what yet but she had a feeling that the original witch wasn't as unfamiliar with her as she was pretending to be.

"Welcome, thank you for joining us," Elijah spoke, addressing the crowd, "you know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance. Tonight's pick is a centuries-old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom."

Klaus walked down the stairs, heading straight towards Emery. "Shall we go then?"

"Do we have to?" She asked back, "I don't do all this dance bullsh—"

"— You're going to have to," he cut her off, grabbing her hand, "come on, give it a try. It's going to be fun."