72

"I THOUGHT YOU wanted to hang out so I'd get my mind off things."

Rebekah only smiled at the witch, "I do." She placed a recycle bin in her hand, "once we're done here."

"Really?" Emery placed the bin aside, "now, you know I love you but I'm not helping you clean."

"Come on," Rebekah poured, "the more help I get, the faster it'll be done. Also, I'm sorry about that guy. I know you two were close."

Emery only sighed at that. As far as she knew, Alaric was dead. She had cried for a while, Klaus was there for her. But somehow the witch could sense that something was not right. Deep down, she wasn't convinced that he was dead. But she'd brush off the thought.

At the sound of footsteps, Emery turned around to find Caroline walking in. Her steps halted at the sight of the two, "where's Matt?"

"He bailed," Rebekah answered without bothering to look at her. "Got called into work at the last minute."

"Are you kidding me?" The blonde vampire groaned, "so it's just us?"

"Yes," she looked at her, "and you're late. Clean-up committee started at eight."

Caroline checked her phone, "it's, like, 8:02."

"Exactly," Rebekah pursed her lips, "I managed to turn up on time and I didn't even get to attend the dance that I organized."

Emery walked over and sat on a table as she stared at the two. Caroline glanced at her then back to Rebekah before she took a deep breath, her features contorting into one of guilt.

"I'm sorry about your mom," she finally said, "I mean, I know you, like hated her and everything but still— I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry about your teacher," Rebekah spoke after a few seconds of silence, "he seemed like a nice guy."

Caroline flashed her a sad smile, "yeah, he was."

"I'm gonna get started on the gym," Rebekah looked at Emery, "maybe you should help me now instead of sitting there and doing nothing."

"Fine," she threw her arms up in exasperation, "I'll check the hallways." Jumping off the table, she gave Caroline a quick smile, "I'll see you around."

"See you around," the blonde smiled back as Emery walked out of the room before Rebekah. She was in the hallway when Alaric suddenly appeared in front of her.

The witch's eyes widened, "what the f—"

"— Surprise." Alaric grinned before he quickly vamp-sped towards Emery and stabbed her with the stake he had in his hands right in her abdomen. She gasped at the pain. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Weakening you," he replied before digging the stake further in. She groaned, feeling all her energy leaving her body. "Esther performed a little spell on this just for you."

"What?"

"You get stabbed with it and your magic and body gets weaker." Alaric informed, "fun, isn't it?"

"Very," she muttered sarcastically, "does that woman never die? Of course she had something to do—" she was cut off when he removed the stake only to stab it back inside resulting in a scream from her, alerting the other two vampires in the school.

She could see black spots filling her vision, "Ric—"

"— Shhhh," he whispered, knowing she was about to fall unconscious, "you'll be fine."

"That's very unlikely." Her voice came out low before she felt her knees give out. He quickly caught her, pulling the stake out before vamp-speeding to a classroom. He placed her on a chair and tied her hands and behind before he went to get Rebekah and Caroline.

|•|

"Emery?" The witch could hear a familiar voice calling her. "Em, come on, you've got to wake up."

She recognized the voice. It was Caroline. Slowly opening her eyes, she glanced at her surroundings. She was still in the classroom and still very much hurt and bleeding. The position she was in was not making it any easier for her.

"Hey," Caroline whispered again beside her. Emery looked at her, she was also tied up.

"Stop talking," Alaric tied a piece of cloth around her head so she wouldn't be able to speak anymore. She screamed with tears falling from her eyes as she stared at the witch who tried to move but she couldn't. The cloth had been dipped in vervain.

"Let her go," the witch muttered, "just keep me instead."

"No."

"Why n— Shit," Emery groaned as she stared down at her clothes which were filled with blood. She couldn't move to heal herself.

"This doesn't look so good," Alaric mocked, clicking his tongue at the sight of the witch. "Does it hurt?" He leaned down and pressed the stake against her stomach. "Hmm?"

"Fuck you," Emery bit down hard on her lower lip. Alaric only chuckled on response before he took out his phone and stood up to call Elena.

Emery tuned out the conversation, turning her head to look at Caroline. "Are you okay?" The blonde vampire nodded, her eyes flickering to where Emery was stabbed then back up at her face.

"I'll be fine," Emery whispered even though she wasn't believing her own words. She had felt weak a lot of times in her life but this was an entirely different level. She doubted she would be able to move her own hand even if she was no longer restraint. Whatever Esther did to the stake was working too well.

"You know, Emery," Alaric slid his phone back in his pocket after he's spoken to Elena, "I don't want to kill you but—" he approached her and sat down on the desk in front of her, "Esther seems to loathe you."

"I think she's just jealous."

"Hmm," he hummed, "whatever it is, she wants you dead really bad. Seems like she's got a thing against your entire family."

"Em?" Elena's voice made the two snap their heads towards the door. The doppelgänger's eyes widened at the sight, "Emery! Caroline!"

"No need to shout, Elena," Alaric smiled, "I'm so glad you came."

"Let them go, Alaric." Elena was panicking earning a shrug from him. "Emery, I can't. But free Caroline yourself."

Hesitantly, she approached Caroline and tried to remove the pencil stabbed in her hand before Alaric quickly stopped her, shoving it back in.

"You said you'd let her go!" Elena shouted earning a sigh from him, "how many times do I have to tell you? Stop trusting vampires!"