53

"SO WHY DON'T we move this evening along and discuss the terms of this proposal?"

"That's very simple," Damon said, "Klaus gets his coffin back, in exchange, he and the Original extended family leave Mystic Falls forever. Me, Stefan, and Elena live happily ever after. No grudges." Emery tried to not let his words affect her.

Elijah glanced at the witch then to the hybrid, "the deal sounds fair, brother."

Klaus shook his head at Elijah's words, "I don't think you understand. Elena's doppelgänger blood insures that I will always have more hybrids to fight those that oppose me," he dropped his hand from Emery's knees and stood up, "I will never leave her behind."

The witch frowned at that. It didn't go unnoticed by Elijah as Klaus began pacing around with his drink in his hand, "let's say I do leave her here, under your protection, what then? How long before one of you turns her into a vampire? Or worse, how long before she dies caught between your feuding? You see, each one of you truly believes that you're the one that can protect her, and that is simply a delusion. Gentlemen, the worst thing for Elena Gilbert is— the two of you."

Damon shot him a weak smile, then looked at Stefan before standing up, "I'm gonna get some air."

"Let me deal with this," Elijah stood up and followed Damon, leaving Emery, Klaus and Stefan alone.

"I need to use the restroom," she stood up and walked away without giving either of them the opportunity to say anything.

It was bad enough that she felt like sad for herself because of the doppelgänger. She didn't know how bad it would be to hear Klaus saying that he needed Elena as well. Emery realized that everywhere she'd go, Elena would always be there. She was useful, unlike her. She roughly slammed the door to the restroom shut behind her.

Lifting the sleeves of the jacket, she stared at the visible scars she gave herself. Her wrists were red and full of them. She brought her left hand on her right wrist and pressed down on the cut which was still healing, as if to snap her back to reality. The harsh reality that she was easily disposable. It was always going to be Elena, she knew as much.

She was about to join the others again when she heard someone screaming and decided to stay back for a little longer, not in the mood to get involved in their mess again. When the commotion had finally stopped only then did Emery decide to return to the dining room.

She was met with several unfamiliar faces. Elijah tilted his head to the side at her, "you're still here."

"I was using the—" she pointed behind her, her words getting caught up in her throat when she saw Rebekah, "— you're back."

"Emery," Rebekah smiled as she walked towards her and hugged her, something the witch wasn't expecting, "hi. Sorry I didn't show up on homecoming."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know Elena daggered you," Emery hugged her back.

"It's fine, love," Rebekah broke the hug, pointing towards the others, "have you met my other brothers yet? There's Finn and Kol." She looked at the two, "this is Emery, the only person I love in this pathetic town."

Finn stared at the witch with both curiosity and recognition in his eyes while Kol smirked, taking a step forward. He grabbed Emery's hand and lifted it to his lips before placing a kiss on her knuckles, "pleasure to meet you, darling."

"I—"

"— You're a Grant witch," Finn cut her off, narrowing his eyes at her. Emery furrowed her brows, "how'd you know?"

"There's something different about you," was all he said as Emery looked at Klaus who had been silent the whole time. "Well, okay, I guess. I'll just leave now."

"You can stay," Kol, who still hadn't let go of her hand spoke up, smiling at her, "we don't mind."

"He's right, we don't," Rebekah smiled before looking at Klaus. "I like what you've done with the new place, Nik," she threw a vase towards a painting making it fall and breaking the vase at the same time.

"I wanted it to be for all of us," Klaus finally found his voice, "a place we could all call home. A place we could all be a family. None of us would ever have to be alone again."

"Well you're right, none of us will be."

"You're staying behind," Finn clarified earning a nod from Rebekah, "we're leaving you, Nik. Right after I kill that doppelgänger wench, then you will be alone. Always and forever."

Emery knew she shouldn't be happy to hear about Rebekah's plan on killing Elena but she couldn't help herself. She quickly shoved the thought away as fast as it came. That was selfish and evil, she thought.

"If you run," Klaus lowered his voice, "I will hunt all of you down."

"Then you'll become everything you hate," Elijah shot him a pointed look, "our father."

"I'm the hybrid!" Klaus shouted making Emery refrain herself from flinching at the pure anger along with a mixture of pain in his voice. "I can't be killed! I have nothing to fear from any of you."

"You will when we have that coffin," Elijah shrugged simply and silence filled the room. Emery just stood there awkwardly until Klaus's hand reached forward to hers and pulled her towards him, keeping her by his side.

Finn scoffed at the action, "I should probably warn you, Grant witches are never here to stay."

They all gave him confused looks at that except Emery whose face paled. Before anyone could question it, the sound of the door opening caught their attention. Turning around, Esther walked in.

Klaus let out a small gasp in shock, his hand tightening around Emery who was also staring at the woman she had been seeing in her dreams wide-eyed.

"Mother?" Rebekah breathed out as Esther walked towards Klaus who avoided looking at her. "Look at me!" Esther ordered, her eyes staying fixed on the hybrid, not bothering to look anywhere else. When he looked up, she asked, "do you know why I'm here?"

Klaus had tears in his eyes when he replied, "you're here to kill me."

"Niklaus, you are my son and I am here to forgive you," she turned to the others, "I want us to be a family again—" her eyes then fell on the witch. She felt as if she had received a blow to the face when she saw Emery standing there, beside Klaus. Masking her surprise and recognition, she feigned a smile, "and who might you be?"