41

"HIS HAIR WAS LONG," Rebekah said with a small smile making Emery chuckle as she tried to picture Klaus with long hair.

They were both talking about random things and getting to know each other while sitting near a campfire holding a marshmallow over it on a stick.

Emery saw the familiar raven haired vampire sitting down beside them. He flashed her a small smile as Rebekah sighed, "what? No friends your own age?" 

Damon scoffed, "like you can talk."

Rebekah said nothing as she brought the burning marshmallow to her mouth and blew it out, "Is this supposed to be fun? I've been through 10 of these."

"No, you're just looking at it all wrong," he grabbed the stick, "this is a little rough on the outside," then he pulled off the burnt outer layer of the marshmallow, "but the inside— yum." He moved the stick and puts the marshmallow in her mouth. She ate it and looked at him as he licked his fingers.

Emery rolled her eyes at them, "let's act like I'm not here, good idea."

"Shut up," Damon nudged her lightly with his shoulders before the three began talking about random things. Rebekah told them how she's never had marshmallow before which made Damon offer her one. "Can't believe you've never had one of these before."

"Well, I've been in a casket for ninety years."

"That's no excuse," Damon muttered as she took a bite of it. He then gave another one to Emery who grabbed it while Rebekah looked at them with raised brows. "Why are you being so nice to me?"

"What do you mean?" Emery asked back, furrowing her brows in confusion. She wanted to be friends with the original vampire, she didn't have an ulterior motive unlike Damon.

"Not you, sweetheart," Rebekah flashed her a small smile then she looked straight at Damon, "him. You hate me. You should be mean."

"Well, I could be mean if that's what you're into," Damon retorted with a small smirk which earned a disgusted grunt from Emery and in turn, she received yet another nudge from the older Salvatore.

Rebekah narrowed her eyes at Damon before she stood up, "you're distracting me. Why?"

Damon stood up as well, "just trying to be a good housemate."

"There's never a fair fight between us, Damon," she stepped closer to him, lowering her voice, "remember that," with that, she stabbed him with a wooden stick and walked away.

Damon grunted as he sat back down, holding the wooden stick with pain stretched on his features. Emery just stayed sat beside him and watched with a frown on her face. "Really?"

"What?" Damon asked back, "I did nothing."

"Clearly," her voice was laced with sarcasm, "what are you and the others up to, hmm?"

"Why do you want to know, Em?" Damon turned to her, having taken out the stick and tossed it aside, "so you can go tell her?"

"I—"

"— You don't have to explain yourself," he interrupted, offering her a small smile, "I get it. It's fine if you want to be friends with the enemy. I don't care. I just don't want you to get hurt."

"I'm not gonna get hurt," Emery mumbled, sighing, "and Rebekah's not necessarily the villain you've made her out to be. She's not a threat, she just wants to live now that she's free. Have you guys ever thought about that or did you just automatically assume that she's out for Elena's blood?" At Damon's silence, she continued, "if you continue with that shit, she's really gonna become a threat to you people. Don't say I didn't warn you."

Then she stood up and walked away. Having nothing else better to do, she decided on going back to her house.

Emery took a shower and changed into her sleepwear before lying on the bed with her phone in her hands. She had finally decided to check her messages, knowing she received quite a few earlier with the constant vibrating in her pocket but she didn't pay attention to it.

2 unread messages from ‘K <3’

K –  Quick questions, have you ever travelled?
K – What do you think about Italy?

Emery felt herself smile at the random questions before she typed out a reply.

E No, I've never. And I love Italy, have always wanted to go there. Why do you ask?

His answer came instantly as if he'd been sitting and waiting for her to reply.

K – Curiosity. Don't think much about it. Anyways, it's quite late there. What have you been doing? How did talking with Rebekah go?

E – Great, she told me you had long hair once. I wish I could see you back then.

K – no thank you, I looked rather horrible.

E – I'm sure you didn't. When are you coming back?

This time, he took a while to answer as he pondered on what to tell her. The silence made Emery frown, she had a feeling that he didn't really want to think about coming back.

K – I'm not sure. When I do, you'll be the first to know. Promise. How about you go to bed now, yeah? It's quite late. Good night, love.

Emery bit her lip at the message, sighing to herself before she responded, 'good night :)'

The witch placed her phone aside and slipped under her blanket, staring at the ceiling. It felt weird to be at the same house without Jenna, she had barely been there after her death. She could still feel her presence.

It wasn't until she felt the bed dipping slightly that she sat up straight in fear, her eyes falling on the familiar woman sitting on her bed, staring at her with a soft look in her tear-filled eyes. "Hi, Em."

"J-Jenna?"