92

IT HAD BEEN TWO DAYS since Emery burnt down the house, Klaus made Tyler run out of town and the couple gave Matt the scare of his life.

Klaus suggested to feed him his blood then snap his neck, turning him into a vampire before letting him burn in the sun. Emery thought the idea great but it'd take too much so she just settled on boiling his blood from the outside until Matt begged her to stop and promised he wouldn't mess with her ever again.

Despite the show she put on, Damon proved to be somewhat a good friend and made it clear to the witch that he wasn't mad at her. He kept her updated about what was happening outside while she remained inside the house. Emery found out from Caroline that Elena had turned it off and was being a major bitch as she attacked Liz, the blonde vampire's mother.

Now, Emery was sitting in the living room with a TV in front of her as she played video games, something she used to do with Jeremy to pass time. Despite the fact that she was living in a house alone with Klaus, they barely exchanged words since the tragic day.

The sound of footsteps upstairs caught her attention. Furrowing her brows, she stood up, tossed the controller aside before making her way there. Her steps halted when she heard voices coming from inside one of the rooms, she guessed it was the office.

"My sister informs me that your vampire assailant is dead, so you're safe and free to go." She heard Klaus say.

She raised her brows at that, having momentarily forget that Hayley was in the house with them because he was apparently protecting her.

It took the werewolf girl a while to reply, "you know, I could be persuaded to stay, enjoy some of the good life." The sultry tone in her voice didn't go unnoticed by the witch who pursed her lips in annoyance.

Hayley wasn't a bad person, she was rather nice and the two have had a decent conversation a few hours ago. The werewolf told the witch about how she was hell bent on trying to find her family or anything about them and Emery offered to help by sharing her resources which Hayley accepted.

However, as Emery looked at Hayley now, she wondered whether she should've clarified that Klaus wasn't included in those resources she was willing to share.

"Is that so?" Klaus asked, a small smile tugging at his lips. "Maybe you could stay then. I do enjoy your presence."

"Me too."

"I'd like you to stay," Klaus said, struggling to keep a serious voice. "Perhaps I'll show you my bedroom."

"Oh, wow," Emery walked, having enough of that conversation which made both Klaus and Haley's lips twitch as they try to contain their smiles and keep a straight face. "Sorry, didn't see you guys there."

"Can I help you?" Hayley asked, clearing her throat.

"Did I interrupt something?"

"Not at all, love," Klaus shook his head at the same time as Hayley did, "what's up?"

"It's just so wonderful to feel the overwhelming sexual tension radiating through the entire house," Emery quipped, her tone dripping with obvious sarcasm and jealousy which only made it harder for the hybrid to fight the smile threatening to break onto his face. "But don't stop flirting on my account. I just need a drink." She walked over the small bar and poured herself a glass.

"Right, you have your drink," Klaus said, nodding towards the werewolf, "Hayley and I will continue this conversation elsewhere then."

"Oh, no need for that," she spoke through gritted teeth, her grip tightening hard on the glass in her hand, "just pretend I'm not here."

"Okay," Hayley shrugged, "he was just telling me to stay."

Emery flashed them a fake tight smile, "really? He's right, you totally should."

"See?" The hybrid raised his brows at the werewolf, "I told you she'd agree. She's one of the most understanding people I know."

Emery only gaped at Klaus, unable to believe the words that were leaving his mouth. At first, she thought he was only messing with her. Now, she wasn't sure anymore. She wanted to throw him against the wall and rip his tongue out. She wondered if it'd grow back.

The witch pursed her lips, glanced at Hayley, "could you give us a minute?"

"Of course," Hayley nodded quickly before turning on her heels then walking out of the door, making sure to close it behind her.

"So, you're hitting on her now?"

"Of course not, love." He could no longer stop the smile from spreading on his lips. "We were just messing with you. She's not actually staying anyway. Although I have to admit that jealousy looks good on you."

"I wasn't jealous," she mumbled, crossing her arms and refusing to look at him. "I knew you were just fucking around." They both knew she didn't.

"It was her idea," Klaus said, walking over to lean against his desk facing her, his hands on either side. "I thought it'd be fun. Are you done giving me the silent treatment?"

"I wasn't doing that," she sighed, "not on purpose, sorry. I just—" she took a deep breath, "I've been thinking about Jeremy a lot. I miss him."

"I get it," the hybrid shot her an understanding look. "Come here," he whispered, his voice carrying a gentle but commanding tone that sent shivers down Emery's spine despite herself.

He thought she wouldn't do as told but without hesitation, she gravitated towards him as if drawn by an invisible force, her heart beating in anticipation and he could hear it.

As Emery closed the distance between them, Klaus extended his arms, inviting her into his embrace, enveloping her with his warmth. His touch was tender, his arms encircling her with a strength that offered solace and protection. Emery nestled into his chest, feeling his heartbeat echoing against her own, an unspoken symphony of devotion. The familiar scent of his cologne enveloped her senses making her relax against his body.

With a lingering tenderness, Klaus pressed his lips against her forehead, his affectionate gesture infusing her weary soul with a newfound sense of comfort. In that fleeting moment, time seemed to stand still, allowing their souls to reconnect amidst the chaos that surrounded them.

Emery's delicate features softened, her lips curving into a small genuine smile that conveyed a world of emotions that words failed to capture. The weight of what had happened slowly lifted, replaced by the hope of brighter days ahead.

Maybe she could put it all behind, she wasn't ready or willing to lose someone else.