33

EMERY SLOWLY OPENED her eyes to the feeling of someone running what she assumed was their fingers down the side of her face.

She was met with the familiar pair of eyes staring at her with a mixture of relief and disappointment. "There she is," Klaus commented dryly, "back from the dead."

"What happened?" Emery questioned once she felt as if she was moving. That's when realisation hit her, she glanced at her surroundings. She was in a vehicle. "Where are we going?"

"Emery?" She heard Stefan rasp out making her turn her head to find him lying on the ground as well. "Are you okay? How do you feel?"

"Like my head's gonna explode," she muttered, wincing at the pain that shot up to her skull. She felt the vehicle stop. "Can someone tell me where the hell where we're going?"

"Klaus—" Stefan spoke up, looking straight at the hybrid, "Just give me a chance to explain myself, okay?"

"No need," he drifted his eyes away from Emery, "I'm not mad, I'm just curious. Rebekah seems to think you're holding onto something. A piece of your old life. The thing is, she's got flawless instincts, borderline supernatural. So I thought I would check it out. See for myself what it is you've been hiding." He opened the back of the truck, revealing the familiar place, "welcome back to Mystic Falls."

"What are we doing here?"

"Do you really need me to answer that, little witch?" Klaus asked, tilting his head to the side at the girl who pursed her lips.

"That's what I thought," he muttered at her silence. .

"Klaus, let me—" before Stefan could finish his words, Klaus turned around and snapped his neck in one swift move. Emery's eyes widened, "you didn't have to do that."

"What was I supposed to do then, hmm?" He approached her, staring down at her, "here's what's gonna happen, you're going to come with me to the school to find out what Stefan's been hiding. Get up."

"I can't," she mumbled, barely being able to feel her legs.

"Yes, you can—" he bent down and grabbed her arm, pulling her up. He bit his tongue in regret when she groaned in pain. He dropped his hand and went to grab hers instead. He was hoping she didn't know about the whole thing but he was proven wrong and that angered him.

She frowned deeply when he began dragging her inside the school. "Stop being such a dick," the brunette muttered, shoving his hand off her once they were inside. Klaus clenched his jaw at her words, "maybe I wouldn't be if you hadn't been lying to me this whole time."

"I haven't lied to you," Emery defended, "I just didn't say anything. And you didn't exactly ask, did you?"

"Well, I'm asking now." He shot her a look— an almost pleading one. He didn't want to stay angry with her and do something he'd regret given the fact that he liked to act on impulse sometimes.

"I'm sorry," Emery muttered, glancing at the hybrid. "I know you suspect it already but yeah, Elena's alive."

Klaus ran his tongue across his lower lip, offering her a nod. "Anything else?"

She shook her head. He raised his brows at her, "are you sure about that? You're not hiding anything else?"

"Not regarding this," she cleared her throat, "you can't expect me to tell you all of my secrets now, can you?"

"I suppose that's fair," Klaus sighed, pursing his lips. He slowly inhaled to calm his nerves. "All right then, let's go."

"Go where?"

"Find your sister," he responded with a small smirk as he began to walk away. When he noticed that she wasn't following him, he paused in his steps and turned to look at her, his lips still pulled up in a smirk, "come on now, love. Let's not keep her waiting."

"Don't do anything stupid."

"Stupid?" The hybrid repeated with a scoff as they began to walk side-by-side, looking for the doppleganger. "I'm just trying to finish what I started."

Emery ignored the constant pounding in her head, deciding to not say anything to his words. Just as they were about to approach a door, it flew open and Elena walked right out of it.

"There's my girl," Klaus spoke up when she saw him, her eyes widening in both shock and fear, "Klaus!" She immediately turned around and trier to run but he vamp-sped in front of her, feigning confusion, "you are supposed to be dead. What are we going to do about that?"

"Emery?" Elena darted her eyes at the witch, "help me!"

"Oh Yes, Emery. Help her," Klaus smirked at the brunette who rolled her eyes at his antics. She shot the doppleganger the most fake apologetic look she could muster, "sorry, I can't do shit. He's a hybrid, I'm just an inexperienced witch."

"Oh god," Elena mumbled, swallowing in fear as she looked back at Klaus again. His smirk deepened, "well, this is going to be fun."