85

CAROLINE WAS SAVED BY Tyler who had help from Elena and she was back home safe— that was what Bonnie had texted Emery.

The witch had returned home when she felt like she could walk again. She didn't tell Klaus anything about what happened since Tyler begged her not to and promised her that he had the situation under control.

Now she was at the Winter Wonderland charity event with Klaus. As the two walked around hand in hand when Klaus asked, "Did you have fun last night?"

"Yep," she half-lied. "I think Elena and I are on speaking terms again."

"That's good, I suppose." He muttered, stopping to turn to look at her with their hands still intertwined. "Do you feel fine right now?" He stared right into her eyes as if ready to detect any lies.

"I'm okay," she reassured with a small smile. "Really, I'm fine."

He hummed, bringing a hand up to her face as he pushed a strand of her hair back. "Your friends are planning something," he said simply, having lowered his voice so only she could hear. "Again," he added. "This will have consequences, you know that, right?" Emery said nothing. She had figured as much. "I'm telling you just in case."

Before she could come up with an answer, Hayley approached them. "Hey."

"Hi?" Emery shot her a confused look.

Hayley only smiled at her. "Emery, how are you feeling? I heard what Adrian did to you."

"What are you talking about?" Klaus was the one who asked. "What did Adrian do?"

Hayley feigned confusion. "Oh, she didn't tell you?" She looked at Klaus, "yesterday two of your hybrids broke into the Salvatore mansion, kidnapped Caroline and hurt Emery pretty bad."

"What?" Klaus clenched his jaw, flickering his eyes to the witch beside him who was biting hard on her lower lip. "Why wasn't I informed of all this?"

"Because it's no big deal—"

"My hybrid attacked you," Klaus muttered, anger visible in his eyes. "What the bloody hell is going on?"

Then Hayley told him everything— how Tyler was helping werewolves break their sire bond to him and what they were doing behind his back. Without bothering to say another word, Hayley walked away.

Klaus let out a sharp exhale, fury coursing through his veins. He looked at Emery, "did you know about this? Is that why you said nothing about the attack? You've been keeping this from me?"

"What?" Emery quickly shook her head, "no, no, of course not."

"Then why didn't you—" Klaus paused when his eyes caught sight of Stefan approaching them. He straightened himself. "Stefan. Where have you been all day?"

"I've been around."

"'m not interested in vagary, Stefan," Klaus said, "you've been dodgy which I've come to realize is a tool of distraction. Now, do you have something to share with me or should I compel it out of you?"

"I broke into your safe to look for the sword."

"Why?"

"Because I don't trust you," Stefan replied simply making Klaus click his tongue. "I showed you the sword. I explained its value. I've been on your side the entire time. What do you want from me? A secret brotherhood handshake?"

"I found the letters," Stefan replied as he glanced at Emery who had been quiet the whole time. "You've had a few pen-pals over the centuries."

Klaus smiled smugly at him, "wel, is keeping my victims' letters really so different from writing their names on a wall? Like you did, Ripper?"