43

EMERY HAD NO idea what was going on until she received a text from Bonnie later that day.

Then Rebekah called her and asked her to meet her at the Salvatore Boarding house so they could spend some time together. That was how Emery found herself sitting on a couch across Rebekah with two glasses of bourbon on the table in front of her.

Jenna disappeared on her that night, a few minutes later when they were done talking. This time, Emery wasn't sad about her departure because she knew she was happy wherever she was.

"Elena was here a few minutes ago," Rebekah informed casually making her raise her brows. "Why?"

"I invited her to talk," Rebekah shrugged, "she wanted to know about my family so I told her."

"Why would—" Emery was interrupted by the front door opening and Elena walking in.

The doppelgänger frowned at the sight of the witch but she didn't get the time to comment on her presence when Rebekah poured herself another class as she spoke, "I thought I told you to leave. Twice."

Instead of replying, Elena went straight to the point, "how do you know that Mikael killed your mother?"

Emery sat up straighter at the question as did Rebekah who was about to take a sip from her glass.

"Nik was there," Rebekah muttered, "he told me."

Elena took a deep breath and began shaking her head. "He lied to you," she revealed as she walked down the small steps to approach the original vampire.

Rebekah glanced at Emery then back at Elena, confused, "and how do you know that?"

"The cave where you carved your family's names is covered with symbols," Elena responded and Emery narrowed her eyes at the pictures in her hands. "The story of your family. How your parents arrived, how they made peace," Elena began placing the pictures on the table, "the spell that turned them into vampires. And this. This is the symbol for hybrid. It's the combination of the werewolf and the vampire symbol." She then showed them another picture, "and this is the one for your mother."

"Her necklace," Rebekah whispered in recognition.

"And this is the story of her death," Elena then added another picture on the table. "The hybrid killed the original witch. Not Mikael. Klaus."

Rebekah began shaking her head, refusing to believe what she's hearing, "no. No, he wouldn't."

"She put the curse on him," Elena argued, "made it so he would be the only one of his kind, and then she rejected him. With the werewolf gene, comes aggression and violence. When he turned, all that was heightened. He killed her, Rebekah and then he made up this entire lie about your father so that he wouldn't lose you."

"These mean nothing," Rebekah scowled, "they're just stupid drawings done by stupid people," she grabbed the pictures and walked over before tossing them in the fire, "who had no idea who my family was."

Elena took slow steps towards her, "then why are you so upset?"

"Why are you doing this so me?" Rebekah asked, tears filling her eyes, "I've done nothing to you."

"Elena," Emery approached Rebekah, looking at the doppleganger, "I think you should leave now."

"No, Emery, she has to know!" Elena exclaimed, unable to see that Rebekah was about to have a meltdown. "Klaus killed your mother," she said to the original vampire, "he has a hold on you, on me, on Emery, on everyone."

"Actually he doesn't—" Emery was cut off by Elena who wasn't paying attention to her. "He has for a thousand years! We have to make it stop."

"Shut up!" Rebekah shouted, taking a step forward as she wrapped her hand around her neck and pushed her against the wall, "just shut up! Don't talk anymore! Nothing!

Elena looked at Emery pleadingly but the witch ignored her and stared at Rebekah instead. The latter slowly let go of the doppleganger and took several steps backwards until she finally broke down.

She fell on her knees, sobs leaving her. Emery quickly rushed towards her, kneeling down beside her and wrapping her arms around her. Rebekah cried into her embrace as she gave Elena a look, mouthing, 'get the fuck out'. The doppleganger shot her a weird look before rushing out of the house.

"He—" Rebekah choked out a sob, "he lied to me. I can't believe this—" she was cut off by a cry of her own as she wrapped her arms around Emery in return and buried her face in the crook of her neck. The witch didn't object and just held her while she broke down.