27

STEFAN HAD FOUND a bottle of 1918, single malt which happened to be Klaus's favourite. The hybrid decided to go to Gloria's to find someone to pair it with which was how Emery found herself sitting on a bar chair beside Klaus who had Stefan on his other side.

Gloria placed a bottle in front of Klaus, "where's Rebekah?"

"She'll be here," Klaus replied, grabbing the bottle, "I can't just conjure her on demand."

Emery frowned when Gloria didn't give her a bottle as well. She looked up at the older witch, "you think I can get one too?"

"Anything for you, sweeth—" Gloria was cut off by Klaus, "— no." Both witches visibly frowned at him. "Why not?"

"Don't listen to him," Emery turned to face Gloria, "bring me one as well. Thank you."

"Don't listen to her—" this time, it was Klaus who was interrupted by Gloria who rolled her eyes at him, "— one more coming up!" And then she was off to grab another bottle, placing it in front of Emery who quickly grabbed it and brought it near her lips, taking a swig.

Klaus stared at her for a few seconds and just as she was about to take another sip, he grabbed the bottle from her, "that's enough."

"No, dude– what the fuck? Why?" Emery groaned in frustration at his action as she attempted to take the bottle back from him.

"I don't need you getting drunk," was all what he said before drinking it himself. Emery rolled her eyes at that as Klaus turned to face Stefan who had been quiet the whole time, looking as if he was depressed, "what's with you? I thought Chicago was your playground."

"This is why you asked me to be your wingman," Stefan realised, turning in his seat to get a better look at Klaus, "because you liked the way that I tortured innocent people."

"Well, that's certainly half of it." The fact that Klaus didn't deny it had the witch frown even though she was kind of expecting the answer. She knew how Klaus was, what he did— she was well aware of what he could do yet she didn't stop herself from getting involved with him even though how bad that sounded in her head. Emery knew she should've stayed away but she couldn't. That made her wonder whether she was a bad person for doing what she did.

"What's the other half?"

"The other half, Stefan," Klaus began pouring the drink in two glasses, "is that you used to want to be my wingman." He slid one of the glasses over to Stefan before he got to narrating the story of how they were friends and what they'd talk about and other stuff that Emery stopped paying attention to once she saw Gloria place a glass of bourbon in front of her with a smile on her face.

"Here," the older witch said, "have at it."

"You're my new favourite person," Emery grinned at her before taking the glass, chugging down the whole thing before Klaus could stop her. The hybrid glared at Gloria who only smiled in response, "she's an adult. She is allowed to have fun."

"Exactly," The eighteen year old shot Klaus a look. He only rolled his eyes in response.

"Wait, I'm confused," Stefan spoke making Klaus give him his attention again, "if we were such great friends, why do I only know you as the hybrid dick who sacrificed my girlfriend on an altar of fire?"

Klaus smiled, "all good things must come to an end."

"He compelled you to forget, genius." Emery answered Stefan's question as Klaus turn to look at her along with the Salvatore vampire. "I thought it was obvious."

"Why?" Stefan directed his question towards the hybrid who was now staring at his glass, not looking at either of them. He replied after a few seconds, "it was time for Rebekah and I to move on. Better to have a clean slate."

"But why?" Stefan asked just as Klaus finished his drink. "You shouldn't have to cover your tracks—" he pointed a finger at him, "unless you're running from someone."

"Story time's over," Klaus stated which confirmed Stefan's suspicion. Emery was about to say something when her eyes landed on a familiar figure standing in the doorway.

Damon tilted his head to the side at both her and Stefan, wordlessly telling them to join him outside before he walked out.

"I need another drink," Stefan spoke, "a real one." Klaus only raised his hand at him, giving him the permission to go. Once he walked away, the witch narrowed her eyes at him.

"Are you okay?"

Klaus didn't reply. He only poured himself another glass and drank the entire thing within two seconds.

"You've turned real quiet ever since Stefan mentioned the running away from someone part," Emery continued which made him pause his action of pouring another glass. "Is it true, then?"

He chewed on his lips harshly, placing the bottle back on the table before turning to face her. "I would highly recommend you to stop talking unless you want your heart to be thrown across the room." He regretted the words the second they left his mouth but he didn't let it show.

"Right," she muttered with a clear of her throat, looking away from him as she tried not to let the hurt appear on her features, "sorry I asked."

He ran a hand through his hair, blowing a frustrated sigh, "I—"

"— I need to use the restroom," she quickly stood up, cutting him off. Before he could say anything to that, she walked away, going outside once he was no longer looking.