91

EMERY STOOD UNDER THE shower, letting water fall on her, cascading down her body. She had her hands against the wall as she faced it, her head lowered, her tears mixing with the hot water.

She woke up from her slumber- the spell having broken because apparently, something had happened to Bonnie. She found herself in Klaus's room, the hybrid standing near the window, leaning against the wall beside it as he watched her. He was the one who told her that both Kol and Jeremy were dead.

Emery had cried for more than thirty minutes over the loss of the two, the hybrid was there, muttering soothing words she couldn't pay attention to while he played with her hair and tried to calm her down. It was working but barely until she felt the need to freshen up. That was how she found herself in the bathroom, showering for the past twenty minutes- Klaus was waiting for her in the room.

She didn't say a word when she got dressed, aware that he was watching her every move. She ran a hand through her hair as she sniffed, tears clouding her vision once more.

"Are you okay?" Klaus asked, breaking the silence. Emery turned to look at him, he was standing a couple of feet away from her, still near the window. She wasn't the only one who lost a brother, he did too.

"Are you?" She asked back instead of answering. She wasn't, he knew that.

"Of course," his voice came out just above a whisper. The witch pursed her lips, realising he was refusing to let himself feel the loss of his brother.

The room was suffused with a somber silence, the weight of grief hanging heavy in the air. Emery bit her lower lip. They were both grieving, both mourning the loss of a brother- in her case, two.

Without hesitation, she approached him, her footsteps whispering across the room. Once she was beside him, her hand reached out to one of his and she wrapped her fingers around, as an attempt to offer comfort.

When he looked up at her this time, his normally impassive expression betraying a pain that ran deep within him. The memory of his brother's tragic death lingered in his mind, haunting his thoughts and threatening to break through his stoic facade.

He turned to fully face her, his jaw clenched and his eyes welling up just a little bit- the same eyes that were usually filled with determination, now glimmered with sadness and uncertainty. "He..." Klaus paused, blinking the tears away, "he spent most of his life in a coffin because of me and now he's gone. I should've been there, I should've-"

Emery cut him off by wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him to her. Due to their height difference, she had to tiptoe. Klaus was momentarily surprised by the action but then he relaxed and placed a hand on her lower back, drawing her even closer. He let his head drop in the crook of her head then inhaled sharply, her familiar scent filling him again. He missed her.

Their position wasn't the most comfortable but they were both seeking comfort in each other's arms. Klaus held her against him tightly, afraid that if he let go, she'd disappear. He could feel her tears soaking him but he couldn't care less. He had tears of his own escaping his eyes, falling onto her shoulders and just like him, she didn't care.

"I'm sorry," Emery whispered.

"Me too," with that he pulled away but not completely. He still had his arms around her, their faces were now inches apart. He leaned forward, his forehead meeting hers then he closed his eyes.

The witch watched him carefully, her fingers absentmindedly threading in his hair as she pulled and twirled softly. "There's something I want to do."

He opened his eyes, the sadness long gone and now replaced with a mixture of curiosity and mischief. His lips twitched as he put some distance between their faces. "Does it include our clothes on the ground and us in bed?"