84

EMERY HAD RECEIVED a few Happy Birthday texts from Damon, Stefan, Caroline, Bonnie, Jeremy and Tyler. She didn't really care about the others since she thought it would be normal if some of them forgot as they had a lot on their plates.

The witch hadn't seen Matt ever since she threatened to kill him so it was no wonder why the blonde didn't bother wishing her. And as for Elena, the two had been at each other's throats for a while so Elena not wishing her wasn't a surprise either.

A lot had happened during the next few days that Emery had decided to stay in mystic falls while Klaus went to look for the sword as she had been feeling more and more tired than usual.

For instance, Connor escaped but then Elena ended up killing him thus ending up having the hunter curse bestowed upon her. But she got rid of that too. Jeremy was now the new hunter and he wouldn't stop texting Emery and gushed about his new abilities.

The witch was lying in bed, a book in hand as she read when she received a text from Caroline, asking her to meet her at the Salvatore Boarding house. Confused but curious, Emery decided to go.

When the witch stepped in the familiar house, she was surprised to find that Caroline was not alone. Elena and Bonnie were there too, sitting on the couch with bottles of alcohol in front of them.

Emery stayed rooted in front of the door when the three girls looked at her. She cleared her throat, somehow feeling like a complete stranger even though she knew them for years.

"Em!" Caroline exclaimed, smiling brightly as she rushed towards her before engulfing her in a bone crushing hug. "I'm glad you came. Thought you wouldn't. That would've sucked since we are basically celebrating your birthday— granted, we're late. But it's the thought that counts."

"That—" she cleared her throat, her eyes flickering to Elena who had stood up, "isn't necessary. But thank you."

"It is necessary," Elena spoke, surprising the witch. "We've always celebrated each other's birthdays. It's tradition." Emery said nothing as the doppelgänger approached her. Caroline stepped back, giving the two space.

"Happy birthday," Elena said, smiling softly although Emery was reluctant to believe whatever it is that was happening. As far as she knew, Elena hated her because she was with Klaus.

"Look, I'm sorry about everything." The words that left the newly turned vampire stunned her even more. She kept silent as Elena went on, "Damon's right. I have been unfair to you. We can't choose who we fall in love with. I should've known better than to push you away when we should've stayed together. You're my sister, and I will always love you— and be there for you."

For a split second, Emery wondered if Damon spilled the beans about her curse but then she quickly brushed the thought away. He wouldn't do that. But he had something to do with Elena's sudden change of heart. Deep down, she knew it was their sire bond. Damon must've spoken to Elena about Emery and here Elena was, attempting to mend their relationship.

"Thank you," the witch wasn't sure of what else to say. She knew she couldn't be the better person and forgive Elena for everything she did. She wasn't willing to look past her selfishness unlike many others. Emery wasn't forgiving. But she supposed she could cut Elena some slack for the time being.

"Come on," the doppelgänger urged, grabbing her by the arm as she led her to the living room where Bonnie was seated. She pulled out a wooden crate filled with wine bottles and handed one to each girls.

Emery glanced at the closed box on the table which made the others look as well. Bonnie was the one to reach out to it and opened it, revealing a cake with two candles 1 and 9 on it.

They lit it up and Emery blew the candles as they sang 'Happy birthday'— deciding to put all their problems aside for the night. It had been a while since they really did something together and Emery was content with how the night was starting off.

She would receive a few texts from Klaus every now and then, asking about what she was doing and keeping her updated on their current situation. The original hybrid was worried about her given the fact that her curse was slowly starting to catch up on her. He knew he had to do something and fast. Losing her was not an option.

⎯⎯ ˖

THE NIGHT MIGHT have started well, but it didn't end well.

Emery, Bonnie, Caroline and Elena partied, drank, danced, had long conversations and everything was going on fine until Elena said she slept with Damon. Caroline then told her that she was sired to the older Salvatore and the doppelgänger was refusing to believe it. Emery was just glad that they didn't bring Klaus up.

"Leave," Elena simply said to them, wanting nothing more than to be alone after being told about the sire bond.

"It's not your fault, Elena, okay?" Caroline stood her ground, "Damon took advantage of you."

For once, Emery didn't agree with Caroline and she couldn't help herself from defending her best friend. "No, it doesn't work like that. They have feelings for each other, this has nothing to do with the bond. Damon didn't take advantage of her."

"He did," the blonde vampire looked at her, "she's sired to him. She'll do everything he says and that includes sex—"

"You need to leave," Elena had unshed tears in her eyes as she looked at Caroline, "now." Then she walked towards the door to open it so she could leave.

"Elena," Caroline sighed, "come on."

"I said leave." However, as soon as Elena opened the door, there were two hybrids, a woman and a man standing outside. The woman smirked at them, "hello girls."

Before either of them had the time to react, she vamp-sped inside and kicked Elena before going for Caroline, holding her by the neck from behind as the man went for Elena first. It all happened so quick that she didn't get the time to react when he snapped her neck.

Then he rushed towards Emery, grabbed her by the neck and slammed her against the wall making her groan when the back of her head hit the hard surface. Her head began spinning and her vision started getting blurry. She was not supposed to be affected this easily. She could feel that something was not right with her.

Bonnie tried to use her magic to fight them but the woman showed her her hybrid face and neared Caroline's neck. "Don't. One bite and she's dead, remember?" Hands tied and defeated, Bonnie backed off. She only stood and watched.

"Wait!" The woman shouted at the man, her eyes widening at the sight of the witch. Then she smiled. "Well, I must admit you're not who we came for."

"What are you on about?" The man asked her, still having hold of the witch. Emery could barely hear what was happening, there was a loud ringing in her head— that was all she could hear. Yet, she blinked and tried to to clear her mind. "What?" Was all she managed to let out. If it wasn't for the hybrid holding her, she would've been on the ground.

"That's Emery," the woman informed, a sick smile playing on her lips. "Klaus's girlfriend. His weakness. We can take our revenge on her. We should take her along with Caroline."

"Are you kidding?" The man had loosened his hold around her throat, letting her breathe a little upon realising who she was. "This has nothing to do with her."

"It has everything to do with her," the woman argued.

"No," Caroline cut in, "just take me. Leave her out of this. Your fight's with Tyler right now, isn't it? Klaus will fine you all in no time and will kill you if you take her."

The hybrids weighted their options before they Finally decided to leave with Caroline only. The second the man let go of Emery, her knees gave out and she had to lean against the wall to be able to stand up. Bonnie rushed towards her and healed her as much as she could using her magic before she lost consciousness.

⎯⎯ ˖
A/N
Idk how to feel about this.