Chapter 719: The method to enduring memories (2)

Sadness when it is blue.

Sloth when it is yellow.

Failure when it is green.

Indignity when it is purple.

Wrath when it is black.

Cale looked down at his black outfit and the ends of the sleeves of his white shirt underneath before quietly mumbling to himself.

His friends who had died while going up against the unranked monster...

Even in the company that Cale, no, that Kim Rok Soo worked for, most of the members in the vanguard of his team were people who had gathered at the start of the company. That might explain why they did not have many close people around them.

That was the case for most people after the cataclysm, but this was a team formed by people who especially did not have much family or people close to them.

'It might also be because team leader Lee Soo Hyuk gathered those kinds of people by his side.'

But it wasn't as if most of the team members had nobody at all.

Some of them had some living family members, while others at least had distant relatives who were still alive. Furthermore, some had friends that they had been close to since even before the cataclysm.

But unbelievably...

It was so weird that it was almost laughable, but...

Choi Jung Soo, the person who had the best relationship with the others on the team... And Lee Soo Hyuk, the person who cherished the whole team and led them all forward...

These two people did not have anybody to take care of their funeral or serve as chief mourner.

'Only me.'

Kim Rok Soo was the only one for both of them.

Kim Rok Soo, the guy who scoffed a lot and didn't really get along with people... He was all they had.

He was the only one who could take responsibility for sending them off.

'It's the funeral.'

Cale realized that he had come back to the time of the funeral when he had sent Lee Soo Hyuk and Choi Jung Soo off one last time.

Once the original chaos subsided and people started to form societies and civilizations to press forward after the cataclysm...

One of the things that changed the most was the funeral tradition. The reason was simple.

Too many people had died.

And even more continued to die every day and will die in the future.

Funerals became extremely simple and short. People had to deal with so much sadness that they couldn't even process it properly. They had no idea when the monsters would attack again. They had to bury the unprocessed sadness in their hearts and push forward to survive.

Of course, there were many who left this world without even getting a funeral. It led to a lot of people thinking that they should be thankful if they could at least say goodbye one last time to their loved ones.

"Team leader Kim."

Cale raised his head after hearing a voice.

There was someone smiling awkwardly and reaching his hand out toward Cale, who would have been standing in the chief mourner's spot in front of Lee Soo Hyuk and Choi Jung Soo's portraits if this was a normal funeral before the cataclysm.

Cale knew this person very well, although it had been unexpected.

Cale had immediately succeeded Lee Soo Hyuk's position as team leader and continued to work after Lee Soo Hyuk and Choi Jung Soo's funeral was over.