Side Story 5-3: Why did the Archduke's Household crumble? (3)

Rosalyn looked at how the hands that had been smaller than hers had now grown larger. Her young brother's hands had so many scars.

John had gone to the border military training a few years ago and she heard that he was still dutiful to his sword arts training.

"You have to become the next king."

"...Haaa."

Rosalyn chuckled while watching John sigh.

She knew that although her brother was sighing like this, he would be better than anybody at being king.

People said that she had a lot of talents.

She did not deny that.

She thankfully had quite a lot of talent.

However, she could not agree with them saying that she should take the throne and not her brother.

Rosalyn could not forget how, when they were looking out the window at a high spot in the palace, her brother's eyes had sparkled not because he was looking at the sky, but because he was looking at the Breck Kingdom.

He looked as if he was shining.

"I will take care of the Archduke's household and denounce my position as a candidate for the throne. They shouldn't say much about it if I leave the kingdom right after that. People will make their own judgments if I leave as quietly and quickly as possible.

"Noona, that's not good."

"Why not?"

Rosalyn could feel her brother's hands tighten around hers.

"Noona, you have to denounce it while looking cool."
"......"

"Something dishonorable doesn't suit you."

Rosalyn casually responded.

"Then it might put your position in peril. People might keep looking for me."

A smile appeared on John's face.

Rosalyn truly felt as if her younger brother had grown up.

"Noona."

John continued in a low voice.

"Things like that are for me to take care of as well. Knowing that I have a sister I can be proud of is enough to give me strength."

Rosalyn clenched her eyes shut.

'This kingdom, this land, the citizens, and my family...

I really love them.'

"...It really is right for you to become king."

Rosalyn opened her eyes again and they were sparkling brightly as if a weight had been lifted off of them.

However, those eyes soon sank down with an odd glow.

It was the moment John asked this question.

"Noona, but, mm, is it okay for just the three of you to go to the Archduke? You don't need any of the Royal Knights? We also have the Royal Mage-nim."

"Mm."

Rosalyn seemed to debate for a bit before looking toward her friends and responding.

"I think we should be enough. Isn't that right?"

"Huh? T, that-"

Lock hesitated while Choi Han stood up and calmly responded.

"It is."

That was Choi Han's answer after already having visited the Archduke's Estate earlier in the day.

* * *