THE DOOM MOON

Wander over Yonder Season 3

Dominator was standing at a window looking down on a planet ripe for the dominating.

In the past, Lord Dominator's next move would have been to drill it and drain away all its precious resources. If the planet had inhabitants, she'd take great pleasure in striking fear in all their helpless, pathetic hearts. To see fearful masses driven away by her Dombot armies had once granted her the greatest of joys. To best the mightiest of galactic conquerors and see herself at the top of the villain leaderboards was her life's greatest achievement.

That once was but as of late, this was becoming less and less the case.

Planetary domination was starting to feel repetitive and unfulfilling. Extracting resources from planets when she already had so much felt pointless. To see helpless masses fleeing in panic seemed like more of the same. Her top position on the villain leaderboards was the limit and it was impossible to go higher.

Retreating into her ship, Dominator sat herself on a chair to watch half-interested as villains on the leaderboards traded spots while she remained at the top. She could have aimed to conquer all planets in the galaxy like before but she just couldn't summon the want or need to do so.

Dominator was bored.

Dominator was not just bored but had fallen into a state of apathy and doubt: what once brought her joy had turned dull and gray and she just couldn't decipher why. It felt as though an unknown something was pushing all her destructive urges away. It felt as though there was a vacancy in her life that no amount of planetary destruction could ever fill.

Driven by this terrible inner turmoil, she begins to work on a small, palm-sized ice sculpture using her ice powers. Not paying too much attention to who or what she was sculpting, the sculpture begins to resemble Wander. She quickly melts the sculpture away using a hot magma hand.

"That's enough sculpting for today" she thought to herself not wanting to know why Wander came to mind then and there. She then flicked on the television, flipped through a couple of channels, and eventually settles for a drama show of sorts.

"I was wrong. I owe you all an apology" a Flendarian directs at his friends. "I used you. Manipulated you... And not a moment passes by where I don't regret what I did..."

Feeling intense discomfort, Dominator shuts the television off at once.

Growing ever more restless, Dominator decides to go for a walk around her ship. As she walked, she began to notice something she had never noticed before: her ship was shockingly empty. On occasion, a Dombot Pawn or two would walk by but they were machines programmed to follow orders. To Dominator, they were cold, heartless, emotionless machines that knew not how to have fun and had no sense of humor. She made no attempt to interact with any of her soldiers as she resumed her stroll.

Loneliness. Loneliness is all she felt walking around her empty ship.

Eventually, she returns to the same window looking down on the planet ripe for dominating. After admiring the peaceful baby blue and spots of lush green, she had gained a sudden urge to go hiking. She loses herself reminiscing about the time she had hiked with Wander and Sylvia and about watching the planet come to life before her very own eyes.

"Pretty isn't it?" Dominator suddenly hears Wander say.

"W-Wander!?" Dominator gasps looking around frantically. She finds she was alone. "M-my mind is playing tricks on me!.. That must have been it" she concludes. "...Fresh air... That sounds nice right about now..."

Donning her armor, she departs her ship and heads straight for the planet below. Upon landing, she finds the planet barren. Wherever she looked, there was little more than rocks and dirt but she had seen blue and green when above it. Also, Wander once showed her that looks can be deceiving and with his inspiration, Dominator removed her helmet and put her ear to the ground. She still felt stupid from it but she wanted to try this time.