Chapter 10 - Pretty Red Waters

"She lied to you, Don! How could you be so gullible?"

Ray yells. He sits down on a large rock and massages his forehead.

"N/N wouldn't lie to me! She gave me a good explanation, and I trust her more than I trust you, Ray. She's my sister!"

The silence between the 2 of them is loud. You can hear the song of the wind as the leaves float in its grasp. A single green leaf lands on Emma's full head of ginger hair, and Norman looks at it before turning his focus to Don:

"Don, Ray is right. Even if mom did tell N/N that the tests are for the good of the children, we know she's been doing them since long before a month ago, and Conny told you that the questions on her test were harder than the ones on ours', including the fact that she also got them all right. N/N's story just doesn't match, because

1.- The questions she's asked don't have right or wrong answers; yet according to Conny, she received a perfect score, meaning the types of questions were probably modified around the time Conny was shipped out and we discovered the truth about the farm.

2.- Conny apparently told Don that the questions on N/N's test were harder than the ones used on ours, meaning that N/N could have been hiding her actual intelligence level this whole time, and

3.- If the tests were really so harmless, why would Mama and her keep it under wraps? There's no need to keep it a secret, as it does no harm. But the truth is that it does."

Emma quickly interrupts.

"I'm sorry Norman, but I believe N/N too! If Mama told her that it was for our own good, then how can we blame her for it? I don't think N/N would lie to us this much. Plus, if she really does know the truth, wouldn't it benefit her more to tell us that she knows and pretend to work alongside us? So that she can earn our trust while gathering information for Mom? Plus Ray, you knew the secret of the house too, but you were helping us silently. Maybe you and N/N are more similar than you think."

The leaf that was once in Emma's hair falls and lands on the many blades of green, green grass on the ground beneath her. Ray jumps out of his seat to his defense.

"We are NOT similar!"

Emma shrugs, and the awkward tension circling the group at the moment makes Ray believe everyone else thinks the same as she does.

"Fine. You know what? I have a plan. A plan that'll prove that me and her have nothing in common."

-

It's play-time outside, and I just finished playing a very intense game of Tag with the under-10 years olds. Anna and Nat are in some sort of fight, so when I saw them verbally abusing each other by river #2 (I memorized the entire layout of the house when I was 4. Took me a couple of weeks to go everywhere, but nothing's impossible.) during our game of tag, I decided to just ignore them and quietly evacuate the premises.

Mama asked me to go meet her in her office when I'm finished, so now I'm skipping playfully through the orphanage like I normally do.

Because everything is completely normal.

"N/N, I'm so glad you could make it."

Mama tells me. I smile. Mama's the one who taught me how to lie- how to manipulate, trick, work behind the scenes, and play chess! I love chess. That's why I'm always so sad when I have to purposely lose to the perfect-scorers whenever we play. It really sucks.