ˏˋ°•*⁀➷Chapter 38 ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

"It's already been six days since Emma and Ray left."

        Lanni and Thoma announce simultaneously, folding their arms and crossing off the days on the calendar.

"I wonder if they've arrived at Goldy Pond yet?"

"I wonder if they're okay..."

"I'm sure they're fine!"

       Small little Chris assures the two, jumping into their arms adorably. Gilda listens in as she leaves the room, holding on to little Rossi's hand. She looks down at the ground with worry, because she wonders the same things as the rest: Are they okay? Please be okay...

"It's showing on your face, Gilda."

    Don whispers to the olive-haired worry-wart. He keeps his face playful and smiley, as to not make the younger ones fret.

"I know you're worried, but if we act nervous, they'll get uneasy, too."

"You're right! Sorry, thanks!"

      She pinches her cheeks and breathes in and out. 1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3.

"Nat, let's go hunt our dinner!"

"Uh, sure. I hope we catch a bird for dinner. I don't want any more bugs or lizards..."

    They grab their bows and arrow and head towards the ladder leading outside. Nat tries to lead the way like Don usually does, but flinches and jumps back when the ladder starts to shake aggressively although no one's on it.

"EEK!"

      He squeaks.

"EMMA!"   "RAY!"   "EMMA'S BACK!!!"   "EMMA, YAY!"

"Wait, is that..."

      The man jumps down and lands on his feet. He carries Emma on his back, her body wrapped in dirty bandages and her face scarred. She seems to be asleep, or worse, and the children all stop and stare in fright.

"Emma..?"

      Behind the man, a shorter and less muscly figure plops down with a similar body carried on his back. The body is that of a girl's, and she has short h/c hair, with tanned/dark s/c skin.

"N/N?"

"MOVE!!"

       The man yells at the younger ones. They all move without hesitation, but don't stop staring for a second.

"This way, Zack!"

The geezer forces himself through the halls. Zack, carrying F/N's unconscious body, follows the grown-up's lead. He takes him and Emma into a wide room with a wooden table in the center of it. He lay's Emma down there, and motions for Zack to do the same with the table right next to it. He rests her body on the table to the man's left, but they can't rest yet.

        Zack had a reputation back at Goldy Pond for being reckless and always finding himself right in the face of danger. Due to all those injuries he collected and cared to over the years, he managed to become the group's medic, and is fairly knowledgeable when it comes to wounds and bruises.

Damnit, I don't even have time to rest!  The geezer complains mentally. First, we need to start with the transfusions. Zack should know the basics, right?

      Interrupting his thoughts at an obviously bad time, Gilda barges into the room holding a small red button. His memory goes back to when they left, and how she threatened to blow the shelter up if he had come back with one of their siblings dead.