Chapter 60 - Betrayal Doesn't Hail from an Enemy

"Did you hear? Another plantation was blown up."

      "Yeah? Where at?"

"Bayon's mass production plant 2, apparently."

       The first man, a butcher-demon chopping up meat, stuffs it in a bag and sells it off to his customer. The customer takes it and looks through his pockets for money, blabbering as he does.

"Recently, the thefts seem to be increasing. But you know, aren't those theives only satisfied by high-quality meat? Why are they striking the mass-production farms?"

"Well, that's because stealing from the high-quality farms with their security is nigh-on impossible."

"So these attacks are basically just venting their anger off to those nobles, huh? What a fun lot."

       While the customer and the butcher speak, two children playing run past them joyfully, kites in either hand. They giggle and smile, almost tripping over their two left feet.

"I feel bad for the Bayon family, it's already been a year since their lord vanished, and now this? How awful."

       The conversation halts for a moment before the client speaks in a low voice.

"Do you think that disappearance could also be their doing..?"

"Idiot! Don't suggest such things!"

"But I really want to try it at least once! High-quality meat... I wonder if those Grace Field escapees are still running away?"

"Ha!"

      The butcher laughs, resting his elbow on the greasy table.

"People have been talking about them for about a year now, they've been dead for ages!"

      The children who ran past the conversationing demons stop running and grab onto an elder demon's coat. They smile as they shout, "brother, brother! Look over there, strange feet!"

      Next to me, Emma's body tenses, but I pat her shoulder and whisper in her ear low enough for only her to hear.

"Quick, hide."

      I slide stealthily to my left, hiding myself in a small gap between two buildings. Emma hurries to the right, covering her head with her hood. When I try to hide myself further inside the dent, I accidently bump into someone else. My heart nearly falls out my ass when I suspect that I might have accidently bumped into a bastard, a thousand ways to escape this scenario filling my head, but when I look up, I finally relax. It's just Ray, that idiot.

"Jesus, Ray, you scared the shit out of me."

      I laugh in a whisper, covering my mouth to reduce the noise and my chest to feel my heart beat. I'm about to say something else when I'm cut off by a shout outside.

"Did you see that, were those human feet just now!? Find them!"

      I put my hands on Ray's shoulders and push him into a wall, making it harder for him to be seen. If I'm caught, at least he'll be safe. Unexpectedly, Ray's hands surround my waist and pull me into him. My head softly bumps into his chest, and he puts a finger to his lip.

"Shh."

"I know, I know."

      We stay there for a minute until the bastards leave. When only silence can be heard, Emma leaves hiding first.