Chapter 56 - To Deceit those you Love

Approximately 700 years ago -

"Still no humans from the farms, huh?"

      An elderly bastard, living on the side of the road with his wife, daughters and son, laughs for the sake of his family. Their living conditions are horrible, soon enough, they'll all turn into wild beasts and slaughter one another. Despite knowing this, they can't leave eachother because they're all they have.

"We haven't had human meat in two years."

      The oldest daugther says, cradling an infant in her arms.

"Even if we get something, it'll most likely just be arms and legs."

"I'm so hungry, Akilia!"

       The youngest sister, a 14 year old child, cries into her sibling's robe. The eldest son kicks a pebble, though the most he can do is move it about an inch.

"I heard that the neighboring town went extinct. They all turned into savages."

"How horrible."

      The father drops his head. Their fate is soon to come.

"We too, will soon..."

      Akilia burries her head into her baby's shoulders, weeping and producing tears her body will soon turn into scales and feelings she'll soon lose to monstrosity.

"Oh, daddy, I don't want to die!"

      She wails miserably, hugging both her child and younger sisters desperate for comfort.

      Amidst the tears and the weeps, footsteps can be heard but not identified until they stop ahead of them. The demon family of five, living under a tent, turn around to find a short but lovely girl in a lovely dress and lovelier mask. Behind her there stand her supporters, taller males and women who follow her like beetles. The lovely girl takes her hands out and offers them to the father demon.

"Everything is okay."

       She speaks, her voice as soft as dandelions travelling through the wind. It soothes.

"Everything is okay now."

-

"The evil blooded girl?"

       Emma asks me, her voice ripe with interest. Ray's gaze doesn't distract itself, and they both have a lot they want to ask me. The questions are displayed clearly on their faces.

"So N/N, you knew about her?"

"Well, sort of."

        I regather my composure and take my hands off my face. That's enough rubbing my forehead, I'm going to give myself wrinkles.

"I've only ever heard of her existence prior. This demon has never eaten a human, they said, and is a unique individual that can maintain both the form and intelligence of humans without consuming them. Date of birth, unknown. Place of origin, unknown. Her existence was confirmed on record 700 years ago, after the Promise, but before the farm system had been established. At first she was a savior that appeared in starving towns."

"A savior?"

       Emma repeats.

"Yes. She was able to pass on her powers to others with only a small portion of her blood, not even fingers or arms. She didn't even have to offer her brain. With just a drop of her blood, any bastard is capable of obtaining the same body composition as her and the ability to share their powers using their blood, as well."