Chapter 48 - EVERYONE IS STUPID :D

"Margaret, Mr. Minerva wants to speak to you before meeting the Grace Field and Goldy Pond escapees."

       Cordelia informs me with a strict smile on her face. It's planted and firm, and aside from her flower-like name which reminds one of a beautiful plant that's petals float with the breeze, the girl herself is very stoic and phlegmatic.

"Alright then, I'll be there in a moment."

      I respond, smiling at the girl. She doesn't smile back, instead waits for me to follow.

"Aww, no fair, but we want to see Norman, too!"

"Guys,"

      I laugh at the wanting little ones, their eyes squinted and pouting.

"The Boss- I mean, Mr. Minerva, just wants to clarify a few things with me before meeting all of you. I know that he's super excited to see you, but you'll just have to be patient, okay?"

      The children whine a bit, but their fusses are quickly put away with the help of some of the older kids. Finally, Cordelia leads me to Norman's office as if I couldn't get there myself. I'll admit, some of the upper floors definitely seem to have improved since I was last here. I guess the maintenance we put into action is finally paying off.

      Multiple stairs wear me out throughout my short but seemingly long trip to the balcony connected to Norman's office. I mean, it's not really his office, 'cause I don't like to call it that, but it's where he spends the majority of his time, really.

"He's in there."

       She tells me, pointing at the door. I smile and nod.

"Thank you."

       I place my hand on the knob and twist the door open. Once I'm inside the room, I look around and see a comfy red couch next to the left wall that wasn't there when I left. Norman's desk has been moved to the center of the room, but Norman himself is nowhere to be seen.

"Hello? Norman!?"

        I shout. I don't get a response, so I try again.

"Norman!? Hello!? Boss, Minerva, hello, anybody home!? HELLO!?!?"

"N/N."

       A gentle but masculine voice whispers in my ear. I jump back up startled and place my hand on my heart, taking quick and short breaths.

"Damnit, Norman, you scared the living shit out of me."

"I'm sorry, I was just talking to Vincent in the other room."

       He walks to his desk and sits down behind it. He smiles and signals for me to sit down in the chair in front of it, and I do just that. He organizes some scattered documents before starting the conversation.

"So, what happened? Why did you take so long to complete you task? That mission was supposed to only be a month long, at the most. I'm sure you're aware."

"Yes, I'm aware. I apologize, but I was injured a bit during the process of destruction at Goldy Pond. I was knocked out good for about 3 weeks, and managed to escort the children here as fast as possible."

"Oh, is that it?"

       He questions, seeming doubtful of my story. I raise an eyebrow in confusion, not understanding his tone of voice.

"Yeah, that's the base of it."

"Are you healed?"

       He queries without eye contact, revising the documents.