Chapter 59 - Man's Best Friend(s)

"You want us to track down... Sonju and Mujika?"

"Both of us?

       Gilda's face turns pale with sudden realization, but she tries to hide her worry. Norman simply nods and places his elbows on his desk, exchanging glances to her and then Don.

"Correct. Before they are discovered by the Ratri family and nobility, I would like to locate and safegaurd them."

      Don furrows his eyebrows.

"Safegaurd?"

      Norman nods.

     "In Emma's plan, the cursed blood is necessary. If she doesn't make it back in time, and I end up exterminating the royals and artistocrats, we won't have a choice but to count on Sonju and Mujika."

      Don bites his lip, unwanted suspicion filling his head. Gilda notices this as she feels the same way. Norman acts unaware of their doubt and rests his chin on his palm as he speaks.

"I still don't know whether to accept Emma's plan, but, if they are captured by the royals and Ratri clan, your friends will most certainly be killed. And personally, I would also like to hold back any factors of anxiety. If we're able to lure them over to our side with a discussion, I'd love to do so. Since you both are good friends with them, it's possible you'd be able to locate them."

       Norman glares. They had never seen this side of him before, demanding, but to be fair, he's grown a lot in these past couple of months, both physically and mentally. Norman used to be shorter than Don despite beating him in age, but now he towers over him like a beast. They'd even say that this new side of him is... intimidating. Don places himself infront of Gilda and tries to come off as agreeable as possible. 

"But we haven't seen them in so long. Just how do you expect us to-"

"Look at this."

       Don and Gilda observe the detailed map Norman lays out in front of them, pointing at certain spots marked by red.

"I've marked the places they are likely to pass through."

        He points to a red circle next to a small body of water. Then one near mountains, finally a long plain.

"The royal army's base of investigations, and each of the demon's settlements and cities. These should be the places they'd avoid crossing first of all. After that, places where demon commoners cannot usually get close to: a dense forest and a steep mountain trail. These are considered impure and warded off as taboo."

       He crosses his arms while still keeping his gaze on the map.

"Areas under which appellations, the royal family prohibits entering into."

"Ah, right here!"

      Gilda shouts. Her eyes brighten with familiarance as she pinpoints a location in the woods.

"This is the place where we met Mujika and Sonju!"

"It's because the suroundings of Grace Field are also one of those off-limit areas. See here? These are the other settlements hidden from the royal family: underground tunnels, caves, escape paths they can easily use to hide due to the terrain. Using this information, I've narrowed it down to few spots where they're likely to be hiding."

     Wow, he's really narrowed it down.

"So they're around these points.."

      Don whispers to himself. Norman nods, lifting his gaze.