Chapter 40 - Mother's Child

Long blonde hair belonging to a young man in his late 20s lies still on his head. His golden-green eyes stare at the deceased bodies of human merchandise, tucked inside glass jars like canned food. One face stands out to him particularly: the face of a young girl with a smile on her face. Peter Ratri picks up his ringing phone and puts it to his ear.

      "We have finally found the body of Lord Bayon."

A devoid voice says through the line. He places his hand on one of the jars and slides it down.

"Even his subordinates couldn't find him, right? Where was it?"

"It was buried deep in an underground vault."

"And?"

"We haven't found a single corpse of the children."

     He tilts his head curiously.

"That's odd. They were supposed to be hunting. Thank you, Andrew. You can pull out of Goldy Pond now. You'll be in charge, search the area diligently."

He hangs up, putting the phone back in his pocket. He stares at the body of the smiling girl as he does so.

"The self-destruct system was activated at Goldy Pond within two weeks after the escape at Grace Field and 3 months after the destruction of Lambda. I wonder if it's a coincidence, brother? I wonder if Mother's child is in the middle of all this chaos? She always was her favorite, after all. There's got to be a reason behind it all, don't you think?"

-

 M a r c h   2 0 4 6 

"You'll be in charge. Search the area diligently."

       The dark-skinned man with light-colored hair recalls Mr. Ratri say the day prior to now. With long brown boots and a long black rifle, him and his group prepare for the ambush.

"Found it. This is where children are hiding, it's impressive they managed to survive in such a wasteland."

      He stomps his foot, and surely enough, he feels shallowness under his feet. This is the place.

"Don't leave anyone alive. Slaughter all of them."

"Yes, Sir!"

       They force the trap door open and all rush into it quickly. Panting and voices in the radios, they open the doors leading to the bedrooms and point their guns, shouting.

"PUT YOUR HANDS UP!"

Multiple bunk beds are scattered across the room, beds in which the children should have slept. The agents wander inside the area, but find it's completely empty.

"Locate any?"

"No. No Grace Field kids, not even anyone from Grand Valley."

"What's going on? This shelter is-"

"It's empty?"

      The light-haired man asks through the talkies. He thinks with his hand on his chin and checks his compass. A dummy shelter? Damn Minerva.

-