Chapter 15 - Elderly Relatives

I have a plan.

It's been 2 days now, and Norman hasn't joined me. He's been shipped. I know it. There's no other explanation.

How could I have been so stupid?

I never should have let Ray convince me. I never should have climbed this wall, I should've gone back and sacrificed myself like I had planned from the beginning. But a small part of me, a selfish one, wanted to live... I wanted to live, and I hate myself for that. I hate myself so much like you can't even imagine. I want to dissolve into thin air and ride the wind. I want to pick up a surfboard and ride a wave. I want to ride a horse and ride a bike! All those things exist, I know they do, but they seem so far away. So far...

     I watch the girl without a name leave my line of sight without a care in the world. She got mad at me for acting cold towards her when she told me the news, but I don't care. It's the last time I'll ever see her. 

And sure, she made my stomach feel like it was tying itself knots, and sure, my face felt as hot as the sun whenever she smiled at me and looked my way, but I don't care. I only care about Emma, Ray, Don, Gilda,  and everyone else back at the house! No one else.

     I'm always 2 steps ahead of Mama, controlling her like a puppet. But since my accident, I've been letting her roam independently. That's what's caused all this, but that's going to have to change. 

That's why I'm running on top of these tall grey walls like  a fugitive making my way back to my house. The only house, in my opinion. Plantation 3. 

Ray has no plan. Ray and Emma think Norman is dead, but I know the truth. It's the middle of the night, and I know being here is extremely risky, but I have to pull the strings silently. Plant traps, little butterflies that will set forth a string of events. I've been planning these little butterfly effects since I was 9 months old, and it's always been a blast. I've grown to use my intelligence to solve more serious issues, but none as serious as this.

     I need to break into HQ and speak to an elderly relative. Our grandmother.

-

     Ray stares at the photograph of Norman and Emma as he lets his arm drop in defeat. Mama is watching, and he needs to play the part of a devasted, no-good griever if he wants both his birthday-surprise suicide and Norman's death to not go to waste.

He hears Mama leave the room, but he continues to stare at the picture he took of his two best friends before using it as a bookmark in his favorite book. 

(Wanna know a secret? He only likes that book because the protagonist reminds him of N/N! He'll never admit it to anyone else, though. Shh~ You didn't hear it from me.)

     "Ray!"

He hears a familiar voice call out. He turns his head so fast he can feel the blood in his veins take a minute to adjust to their new location. (I don't think that's how veins work.) He's paranoid, for God's sake. Now he's hearing Norman's voice in the goddamn library. 

"What is it, Don?"

"I just wanted to ask you about F/N... What are we going to do about her? Is she just going to hide out in that farm for the rest of her life? Because if you're not planning to escape, then what are we doing?"

"I don't know Don. Figure it out."

Don looks at the raven-haired boy with pity. A sentiment Ray has never been too fond of. As soon as Emma, Don, and Gilda escape without him, they're going to pick up N/N and leave as soon as possible.

"I'm being serious. F/N's smart, she could help us escape with everyone."

"I already told you Don, there is no escape. Not with me, anyways. I'm not leaving this house, what's the point? We can't escape, it's literally impossible. I'm so tired Don. I can't do this anymore."

Don doesn't know how to respond, so he doesn't. He look at Ray without hope. Disappointment. Ray doesn't look at the taller boy, so Don decides to leave. He stares at the door he just closed, wondering what the hell Ray's thinking. Ray's planning to kill himself, why would he do that? Just because Norman sacrificed himself doesn't mean Ray has to follow his path. He's such an idiot.

He goes outside to meet Gilda when he spots a strange figure in the trees. It's so far away, but he can recognize that girl anywhere. 

N/N?

-

After showing myself to Don, I walk to the gate leading to headquarters and wait.

I frown. This gate in front of me is a lot taller than I remember it to be. Have I shrunk? No, that's stupid. You can't shrink, dumbass. Not until you're grandma-age.

I hide in the bushes near the gate for a couple of days. I notice how slow the clouds move, yet how fast they change in such a short time. It's quite confusing, but a cloud's motion is mesmerizing. 

     Interrupting my thoughts come the sounds of voices. Masculine, powerful, terrifying, demonic voices.

"Hey, assholes. Look at me!"

I shout. I hear their disgusting heads turn to glare at me. Eugh. It's such an irritating sound; reminds me of squishing a cockroach, or cracking a finger. 

"Before you lay your filthy hands on me, see this."

I grab the collar of my shirt and pull it down to reveal the number carved on the side of my neck. 26194, they read. I feel their revolting eyes on my skin. Observing me, studying me, wanting me. My brain, that is. But they can't have it. I smile at that thought.

     There are two of these repulsive monsters studying me from the other side of the gate. The taller and robe-wearing one refocuses his attention to a piece of paper he's holding in his hand, if you can call it that.

"I just want you to know that if you lay even a finger on me, I'll run up to that brick wall over there and absolutely destroy my head and the delicious brains being stored in there. There will be nothing left, so I suggest you listen to me and lead me to Grandmother Sarah."

It took some convincing (and a bit of self-inflicted abuse followed by physical trauma regarding my head and the brick walls,) but I finally got these two demons to listen to my request and lead me like dogs to my destination.

     They look at me like moths, and I feel special knowing these two insects aren't good enough to eat me. I'm better than them.

They stop at a door.

"What? Open it!"

I order them, but they don't listen. The shorter, less intimidating and higher-voiced one faces me and slowly raises his arm. Raising his nails, and raising my blood levels.

     My body freezes out of fear. Shit, shit, shit, what's happening?  They can't kill me, I need immediate medical attention! My head is bleeding for God's sake, I can't die! I need to talk with Sarah! NOW, NOW, NOW!

      Before I have a chance to collect my thoughts, a door opens in front of me and an electric shock seems to travel throughout my whole body. Limb to limb, nerve to nerve.

"Welcome, 26194," are the last things I hear from a feminine audio before I fall. Not this again.