Chapter 24 - Deal With It

"Are you guys ready?"

     I ask the group using my walkie-talkie. Walkie-talkie?  What kind of name even is that? First SmEe and now this? Oh lord.

"Affirmative. Press the button."

Our leader, Norman, responds firmly. I do as told and press the small red button in my hand that activates the explosion. Immediately after the big boom, all the security measures, mainly cameras, should have been turned off. The boom is located at the Officials side of this mass-production farm, away from all the poor children on the opposite side of the building.

"It's done. Meet up at the side entrance."

I announce before turning off my gadget. I need to conserve its battery, although Norman keeps telling me to leave it on. 

      I run by the outskirts of the big building, huffing and puffing until the end. I'm starting to recover from my drugs at Lambda by finally gaining some weight and pulling some muscle. However, my side effects are getting worse, but I'll elaborate later. I've got things to do. I've got responsibilities now, like a big kid!

"F/N, you're finally here. Everyone, gather behind me."

Boss- no wait, I'm not going to call him that- Norman is our leader, and basically makes all the calls and the strategies. Vincent is something like his assistant, and I'm the moral support!

     Just kidding. I'm the self-appointed Bomb Maker/setter-offer. Norman prefers to call me the Detonator, and while I admit it sounds cool, I enjoy making him mad.

      All 5 of us follow close behind Norman while he walks authoritively through the farm. This side of the building was more affected than I had thought, but that just means my bombs are worth the while. Finally, we stop when Norman reaches a big, tall door. He takes a deep breath before opening it wide. The sight laid out before us is one we're quite used to now, whether that be a good or a bad thing.

"Poor souls."

     Norman whispers to no one in particular, scanning the room and all the brain-dead children having been tortured in it. Some might be dead, others might be almost there. Doesn't change the fact there's probably no saving them. The odor coming out of this room is just nauseating. Knowing that these poor children have never been bathed makes me feel fortunate.

"From the outside, it was a nice building. But inside, it was just another mass-production farm, eh?"

Vincent questions, a slight hint of anger infiltrating his calm voice. Vincent hardly ever gets angry; at least not on the outside.

"Zazie, rip off their chains."

      Zazie, the 5 year old boy with the overwhelming strength and height does as told by Norman. He uses his sword to free the childrens' hands from their awful locks. Norman walks up to one of them. 

"We came to save you."

      Norman tells it. The child mutters and babbles in response. Norman hugs the poor thing empathetically. 

"Poor you."

"Do we take them with us?"

I ask him quietly. Maybe he didn't hear me.

"No... If we remove this device, they will die. I'm sorry."

"Got it."

I answer before walking to the right side of the room. There on the wall is a lever. If I pull this lever, all the children in this room will immediately die. Or to better put it, they will be taken out of their misery. So I pull it.