Chapter 41 - Her Minerva

Dear Emma... How are you doing?

"Haha, you can't tag me!"

     A small blonde girl bearing two equally short pigtails brags playfully as she runs away from her friends behind her. The only one not playing at the moment is Phil.

How are you?

      Phil's large blue eyes scan the sky, admiring the speed at which the clouds float slowly across it. Sitting behind him, tugging at his shirt, is a small ginger baby. Carol smiles at him, and Phil pats her head.

"GRAWWWWW!! THE ALIEN MONSTER ATTACKS!"

Simon, a reddish-brown haired 6 year old attacks Phil and Carol, running with them in his arms as he hugs them deviously. The two boys laugh, and small Carol cutely giggles.

"Come on, you two! Play with us!"

"I guess we have no choice!"

Phil replies happily. Simon holds Phil's hand with one arm, and carries baby Carol with the other.

I'm doing well. It's been two months since I last saw you, and a lot has happened.

      After playtime is over, Phil and the others run back inside the house.

"Phiw!"

Carol babbles, trying to reach Phil's nose to squeeze it. The boy's blue eyes lighten up and glisten at the sound of his name coming out of his baby sister's mouth. He picks her up by the arms that reach for his face and flies her around like an airplane.

"You said my name!"

He exclaims proudly, putting the girl back on the ground when he gets tired of holding her up and instead gives her a hug.

Carol can say more words now.

"Phil, your test scores have improved a lot since you got here, great job! I'm so proud of you!"

The little boy jerks up out of his seat and raise his hands proudly! Sitting behind him, Simon takes a sneak peek at little Sherry's test scores. It's higher than his, but lower than Phil's. Vapor comes out of the little girl's ear as she squeezes her paper angrily, eyeing Phil with burning eyes.

My and Sherry's scores have gone up. I'm trying to get her to study more, and it's really working. She's been asking me a lot of questions recently, about the house. She's suspicious, because she saw Mama break your leg that day... I'm sorry I made that mistake, I should've taken care of her better.

Eugene, Charlie and Milosz are well, too, but I don't know about any of the others. After the fire, we were separated and sent to other farms. It's the same house under the same sky. We probably got split up among the other four plants.

I haven't seen Mom since then, so I don't know where she is. We have a new life now, with a new mom, but she's different.