Chapter 23 - The Way of the Baby

Over a thousand years ago, the world as we knew it split into two: The human realm, and the demon realm. However, a small group of humans were left behind in the realm of the demons as cattle for the monsters. They could be bred, managed, eaten, and treated however deemed best. Throughout centuries, the quantity of humans grew, and farms were built in order to raise higher quality livestock to be sold as merchandise. 

-

"Wow, this is delicious!! What is it!?"

     Emma asks gleefully, throwing a big lump of it in her mouth with a spoon. The rest of the children follow, not being able to get enough of this delicious delicacy.

"My cooking."

Ray replies dully. All the children devour the scrumptious meal without hesitation. Then remember to stare at Ray in awe.

"What!? Seriously!?"  "How did you make it so good!?!?"

"I don't know. I just made it how Mujika taught me to."

"No way!! You were just throwing random stuff in there!"

"Then I guess I'm just that good."

'DANG!"

     It's day 5 of their stay with Mujika and Sonju, and soon enough, they'll all have to leave and get going. But right now, they have more important stuff to think about! Like dinner.

"We made it!"

     The children cheer after a long afternoon of hunting and gathering food. Sonju has been teaching Emma how to hunt wild animals, and she's a natural at it. She even seemed to understand the purpose of the red Vida flower, though she admitted to having had witnessed its power first-hand in the past. She didn't like it.

While Emma hunted with Sonju, everyone else searched and gathered fruits and vegetables. Ray was an amazing cook, Mujika soon learned.

"Thank you for this food!"

-

"All right!"

Don shouts at the end of the meal.

"If everything goes well, we'll be at BO6-32 by tomorrow!"   Yeah!

"But it'll be sad to say goodbye to you, Mujika!"

"Oh, I know."

     Mujika leans in and hugs the little ones. They're just so cute with their short heights and heads of hair and human eyes!

     "Gilda, what's wrong?"

Ray asks the green-haired girl. She seems to be lost in thought, but quickly comes back to her senses.

"I was thinking about what Sonju told us, about the separate worlds. There should be more kids like us here, shouldn't there? You know, more escapees."

     Ray agrees with what she says. Emma overhears their conversation, and runs up to Sonju before he leaves the room.

"Hey, Sonju! You said there were many other farms, have you ever heard of children escaping one? Maybe in rumors during your travels?"