Chapter 22 - Wake Up

"Where am I?

Ray asks himself. He jumps up from the spot he seemed to have been sleeping in just a moment ago. He looks around the room.

     Where am I..? In a cave? What am I doing here?

He massages his forehead and runs his hands through his hair, which is what he tends to do when stressed. In the room, there's a small table, a lantern, and a sleeping area for 1 on the floor.

That's right. Someone saved me, and I blacked out.

     His mind goes back to the hell of a day he had yesterday. If my memory serves me right, Ray had been spotted by pursuers yesterday when he strayed from the other children in order to lure the wild monster chasing them to its underground death. If I recall correctly, he was running away for what felt like forever. His pursuers were chasing him, waiting for him to get tired, when suddenly, a stranger riding a strange animal swooped him out of there and saved him. Then he fainted.

Could that have been... William Minerva?

      He picks up the lantern next to his pillow. He recognizes it as his, but what is his stuff doing here?

He leaves, lantern in hand, to investigate his unknown surroundings. He needs to figure out his coordinates so he can hurry and meet Emma and the others at BO6-32. He stumbles upon a similar room, but accidently trips and falls right into it.

"Emma?"

      He runs up to the unconscious girl's body, repeating her name until it does something. Is she breathing!? Is she alive!? Where's everyone else!?!?

"Emma, Emma! It's me! Wake up!"

"Huh? Ray?"

Ray slumps down, relaxing after an eternity of worries. He smiles as he thanks whatever god might exist for this extremely fortunate family reunion.

"Ray!"

      She forces herself up and shoves herself onto him for a long, much-need hug. The boy doesn't hesitate to hug back

"Thank goodness! You came back safely!!"

"Yeah, and I'm glad you're okay, too."

      After their short moment of blessing, they remember their unfavorable circumstances and missing family. Ray pats Emma's head.

"So... Where are we? Where's everyone else?"

     Emma asks the boy. They both help each other in standing up before continuing their conversation.

"You don't know either, huh?"

.

.

.

"I see. So we were both rescued separately in two different locations by 2 different people: a man in a hood, and a girl in a hood. Who are they?"

     Ray puts his hand to his chin, thinking about the situation. Emma thinks Ray is cool.

"My Emma senses are telling me they're not enemies. I only vaguely remember what she looked like, but I can recall my savior's voice. It was tender and beautiful."

"Emma senses?"

"If they were enemies, I don't get what their objective would be. Hey, do you think it's Mr. Minerva?"