Chapter 13 - Actions Speak Louder than Words

"N/N!"

The ginger-haired girl screamed with worry.

      "Ray! What did you do!?"

Don, outraged, yells. He would have shoved the raven-haired bastard right as he did to N/N into the same river if he hadn't had other priorities at the moment.

"She's still alive, a-and she's breathing!"

Emma informs the rest as she, Norman and Gilda pick F/N up out of the water and check her pulse.

"Someone get Mama! Fast, please! Ray, go get Mama!"

Ray was frozen. He stared at what he had done. N/N's blood was drifting through the once-clear water, and everyone's pitch white uniforms were wet and red.

"RAY!? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, YOU BASTARD!? DO SOMETHING! GET HELP!"

"O-okay!"

He hesitates before sprinting away from the scene to do the only thing he can to clean up his mess. He doesn't want to leave, but he knows he has to. He's not wanted there.

-

I wake up to voices speaking besides my bed. I struggle to open my eyes. I forgot how much it still hurts.

"Then Ray, you should break your leg too!"

My eyes open, but I don't think anyone's noticed. Ray cheers:

"Why not? Let's break a bone!"

"Emma, what are you-"

"You know, since I'm hurt so badly, I don't think I'll get shipped out in Norman's place! Remember what the demon at the gate said? We're high-grade merchandise, and we're also special. When we go, we have to be in perfect form. If they need a replacement, it'd be Ray! So if Ray were hurt badly as well, he wouldn't get shipped out immediately."

Ray starts to laugh, I suppose, at Emma's ridiculous idea. It might've actually worked- under different circumstances.

"That'll never work."

I whisper. I admire the roof, and I've never really noticed this before, but it has the same texture as a boulder. Rocky and grey-ish white. Like the moon!

"You know it, Norman. You have to make this sacrifice, even if you don't want to. Which I know you don't. No one does."

"N/N, what's wrong with you! This plan could work, why are you working against us? You said you were going to help!"

Emma exclaims with irritation in her words.

"You're right. I'm sorry..."

I go back to sleep. I hear them continue to talk, and I silently judge everything they say. If what I say can't convince them, then maybe my actions will, I think.

-

"Phil, wake up!"

Sherry tugs on the sleeping boy's tired body while repeating the same phrase over and over again. Much to little Phil's annoyance.

"Wake up, wake up, wake up!"

Phil has no choice but to obey. Sherry's been clinging on to him like glue ever since they witnessed the scene a couple of days ago. It's best not to talk about it, they've decided.

"Sherry, what is it? Everyone is sleeping!"

The little one complains.

"I know, but there's a weird noise coming from Mama's room, and I'm scared! Will you check it out with me? PLEASE!!!"