Chapter 57 - Murder is a Strong Word

"So that's how it is?"

       Norman grins, hidden away behind his desk. His hands are gripping a pen, and its ink he's using to sign off papers. I would like it if he could at least look at me while I speak to him, but I understand that he's busy.

"Yeah. I'll follow them on their journey to make sure they don't get into trouble, but while I'm gone, I have something I want you to take care of."

"Is it about the evil-blooded?"

"Yes, exactly. You know me so well."

      He lets his pen fall and places his elbow on the table. He cups his chin in his hand and looks up at me like a puppy. I can even say he looks cute doing so, but he only does this when he wants to get his way. A side of him not many people today know.

"I want you to find and kill her while I'm gone, as well as her subordinate. You know just as much as I do how detrimental she can be for the mission."

"She could ruin everything."

       He says bluntly. I nod.

"I don't care how you do it, just end it."

       His smiles dials down, dropping the pretty act. He thinks for a moment, but that's all the time it takes.

"I'll have Don and Gilda take care of it, let them bring Yugo along as well."

"They won't believe you."

"I know. I'll give them escorts. Guides."

A guide?  I think. Hayato's one of the best kids we've got, so I'd recommend him to keep them on course. Of course, Hayato is not trustworthy in the least when handling a map, so there'd need to be someone else.

"You're going to use her?"

       I ask him, watching him move his fingers across the paper and handling the pen inbetween them. Everything Norman does is so graceful, so elegant. I guess this is part of being perfect to the public.

"Yes. She'll prove her strength, and she'll get the job done. It's a win-win for both her and us."

"Finally, we'll be able to relax."

      Though I don't have a couch or a coffee table to stretch my legs on, I improvise and instead try to touch my toes. When I bend down, I feel Norman's gaze on me. Looking for my face. If I we weren't so close, I'd feel nervous.

"Are you sure this is what you want?"

      He asks me, smiling. His grin is coy, and I don't understand what he's getting at by asking this. The Boss I know would never hesitate to see this plan to the end no matter what hardships await, but what about Norman? Could he be having second thoughts? Are his feelings for Emma going to stand in the way of the mission? Was it a bad idea to tell him the details of my encounter with Emma and Ray? Should I have bent the truth?

"What I want?" 

      I laugh, returning his coyish smile with one of my own. I've never lost a game of chess unintentionally, and this is practically the same thing.

"What I want are the bastards dead. I thought you, out of all people, would know that, Boss."

"Boss?"

      He lifts an eyebrow. I forgot for a minute that he doesn't like it when I call him that.

Before I know it, he's pushed his seat out and walking towards me. My fingers twitch, something in the way he's getting closer makes me want to go further. His chin is sharp, really lives up to that intimidating Bossly reputation.