Chapter 17 - Maddy Andrews

In the forest, birds are chirping at the blue skies and children are playing around with paper and fire.

One of the children, a tall 11 year old girl with short, brown, afro-textured hair and dark skin, finishes tying the letters she wrote with her friends to a floating candle, ready to send it off to the outside world any minute now!

     "Wow!  You're so awesome, Krone!"

The little pig-tailed girl tells her older sister, who she aspires to be like some day!

      "Just don't tell Mama!"

As the floating candle carrying the question Krone and her friends have been wondering all their lives in a letter drifts away, one particular man just-so happens to be taking a walk along the location that same drifting candle decided to land on.

     The older man wearing a white lab coat, rectangular glasses, slick grey hair brushed back, and a green ID holder name badge around his neck picks up the dead candle and the letters its been travelling with, and reads one.

I am Krone. What is the outside world like?

The letter said. How interesting, the man with the lab coat thought to himself.

-

"Subjects 22194 and 26194 are currently playing Chess, Dr. Ratri."

     Dr. Peter Ratri and his assistant with rectangular glasses and grey, brushed back hair standing behind him both walk towards the screens on the wall. This particular room is one of the many security monitoring rooms, where the screens of over 20+ experimental captivators (cameras) are displayed for those in charge to see.

"Who's winning?"

Dr. Ratri asks the 6-eyed demon managing the room.

"It's a close call, but it looks like 22194 is about to end the match."

     He points to the chess board the 2 children are playing on, but Dr. Ratri prefers to stare at the faces and the players' reactions to the current situation.

He tries to study F/N's face, to make out if she's losing on purpose or if she's just not in the mood for a game. He guesses that she's around that age where she starts to misbehave and act all rebellious.

"Checkmate." 

     The white-haired boy on the other side of the chess board's eyes widen. He didn't expect to lose. Dr. Ratri smiles and laughs.

"Won't you look at that? She had us all fooled."

"Checkmate."

     I say to Norman when he places his bishop on b4.

Without letting go of his piece, he scans the board and laughs when having spotted his mistake.

"Wow- I hadn't even noticed your knight. I can't believe I lost again."

"The score's 5-2, Norman. You'll get there one day."

"22194 and 26194. Avoid engaging in unauthorized conversation."

Orders the masculine voice over the speaker.

     We smile at each other before Norman leaves the room along with 2 male scientists who escort him away. Twenty minutes later, once my guards arrive, they lead me to the exam room.