Chapter 55 - The Bite of Lemon

"You've got this, Chris!"   "Keep it up, you can do it!"

        Plenty of children have come together or simply ended up watching coincidentally while they performed their daily chores and jobs, observing the little boy with dark hair and darker blue eyes who treads forward using silver-colored crutches under each of his underarms.

"Chris, wait, you shouldn't push yourself too hard!"

      Gilda worries, watching as the others do Chris walk. The boy ignores her suggests, instead grinning childishly and now walking even faster.

"You're almost there!"   "You're super fast, Chris!"

      Behind the bricked walls which show an entering into the infirmary, Zach, Oliver and Benjamin, three people who played a large role in Chris's swift recovery, watch the result of their effort run along on his own two little feet. Chris's black hair stops in front of his eyes, but the boy can't reach it with his hands, so Don jumps infront of him real quick and blows it out of his face. The children nearby laugh.

"I can't believe he healed so fast."

       Says Benjamin, the boy in charge of leading the infirmary before Zach and Paula arrived, teaching him several tricks and surgical tips since their arrival a few days ago. Occasionally, Yugo, the big, tall man with the threatening eyes and eternal bed-head would stop by, walk around, and comment on everything Ben could do to work harder and better. Ben would always follow his advice, and things would go well soon after.

"And he's already sprinting, too. For a second there, I thought we lost him."

      Ben laughs, though clearly not recieved well by the other two boys near him. Oliver and Zach make him very nervous.

"Say, where are Emma and Ray? They're missing the revival."

     Oliver asks jokingly, lifting an eyebrow at Ben. He chuckles anxiously, not sure how loud or how long he should hold the laughter out for.

"They haven't been out much since we arrived. Last time I saw Emma was I think around 3 days ago, our first morning here, pretty sure."

     Zack nods cooly, quietly noting Chris's movements and dangerous walking habits from a distance.

"They should be here soon. Emma wouldn't miss this for anything."

     Ben and Oliver nod, full agreement in Zach's words. Emma's been waiting for this a long, long time. Ben doesn't know her too well, but the day they arrived, the girl with the spikey ginger hair that the boys are talking about accompanied unconscious Chris into the infirmary, placing him on a medical bed and everything. She stayed here, sitting by his side, for about ten minutes before being called out by a child around the same age as sleepen Chris, also an escapee.

As if on cue, loud bursts of young and childish giggless fill the air. Three of the children, Lanni, Thoma and Rossi, are picked up by strong hands and hugged by a ball of energy entering the crowd.

"Emma!"

      The three of them yell in unison, the loud red hair giving away her identity almost immediately.

"Where's the sleepy boy!?"

     She asks excitedly, Lanni and his onion hair try to wiggle their way out of her arms. All three of them fall out of her grip and land with their butts on the floor. They smile big and point to the center of the room. Emma's eyes find Chris's, and she leaps to him in a hug.

"Emma!!!"

      He shouts. Emma reaches him and squishes the younger one in her arms. The boy tries his best to smile betwixt the shredding grasp of her hug, but it's pretty hard when you're being suffocated with love. Noticing his discomfort, she weakens her grip.