ˏˋ°•*⁀➷Chapter 39 ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Inside a small room with painted-white walls and tiled floors which hold two infirmary beds and medical equipment tied to them, rest two girls of similar age but varied appearance. Their consciousness closed, and having been in the same deep slumber for over three weeks now, no one knows when they'll ever wake up. If  that ever happens. (Sorry for all the elegance in this paragraph.)

      "How are they?"

A raven-haired boy asks another male sitting by one of the beds. The boy walks toward the bed where the fire-headed girl sleeps, meanwhile the other male sits at the h/c haired-girl's set.

"They're doing fine, I guess. Their heart rates have gone back to normal, it's only a matter of time until they wake up."

      Zack lets Ray know, reading a book as he does.

"Why are you always in this room?"

"Because Lucas told me to take care of them until one wakes up."

      Zack responds. He raises his eyes off his novel and finds that Ray is glaring at him coldly. That gaze sends shivers down his spine, but he tries to act as if he doesn't notice by sheltering back to the safety of his novel.

"From where I'm sitting, it looks like the only one you're taking care of is F/N."

      Ray narrows his eyes and makes the death stare colder, if that's even possible. Zack shuts his book and returns with his own myopia threat.

"What do you care? I'm the one who has to be here most of the time, you should be thanking me."

"Thanking you?"

       Ray laughs.

"Maybe I'd thank you if you were sitting over here with Emma, but you're only caring for F/N. Are you saying that being here is a chore? If preserving Emma and F/N's lives is such a burden for you, then just leave!"

"What's your problem with me!? Even when we were fighting at Goldy Pond, I could tell you disliked me just by the way you looked at me. You're so childish, Ray. I'm not fighting with you, not here."

       The black-eyed boy penetrates his hands with his nails as he clenches his fists. He grits his teeth, ready to say something else, when a quiet but strong voice reminds him what he ought to be thinking about.

"Norman..."

       No, he's not thinking about Norman, he's thinking about N/N, because she just spoke her first words! (First words in 3 weeks, anyways.)

Both boys bounce out of their chairs and look at the pale/dull-skinned girl in shock. Zack runs out of the room and starts to yell.

"N/N'S AWAKE!"

       Before the rest of the children come barging into the room, Ray takes the moment to spend time alone with the newly-woken up F/N. He wonders just how awake she really is at the moment. She whispers softly, as if still asleep.

"Hayato..."

"Hey, F/N."

      The boy whispers. She doesn't respond, so he says it again, louder.

"F/N!"

      Her eyes dart open, her e/c gaze penetrating his thoughts. He stutters before speaking again clearly.

"Thank god you're aw-"

"N/N!"  

       A thousand voices shout into the room, disrupting the silent atmosphere Ray had wanted. He falls back in his chair with exhaustion, letting out a breath of annoyance that was ultimately shut-out by the rest of the conundrum in the room.