Chapter 58 - Smitten in Deceit

"We appreciate you taking the journey."

        Aggressive winds blow outside the castle's heavy walls. Inside them stands a throne. It's hidden behind twin curtains, both meters high at least, and adorned by gold and silver and bronze.

"This time,"

       A female demon says, the clothes she wears representing her position as one of the Queen's two ladies in waiting.

"her majesty has gathered you here for the purpose of combatting the theft and rebellion which has been happening as of late."

      The first lady in waiting starts the sentence and the second one finishes. Just like the curtains, the girls are identical. They're symmetrical from the pointy hat they wear on their heads to the sharper shoes practically joined to their feet.

    If the queen loves anything, it's perfection. 

Speaking of the devil.

      "Yes, that will do."

       The five artistocrats who are on their knees and bowing lift their heads to look up. The only sound heard is the cackling of long, sharp nails. The queen repeatedly taps her armrest with her fingers, her golden nails scratching and leaving marks, but she doesn't seem to mind the ruining of her throne.

"Raise your heads."

        The bowing bastards lift their bodies and stand on their legs, but no matter how tall they be, no one threatens the height of the Queen. She towers over the five of them like a tower. Her skin is dark, clean, and her hair made into tens of long, brown, black and white braids.

"Queen Legravalima."

       Duke Iverk speaks, not at all frightened by the Queen's overwhelming presence. A butterfly flies past him, and only then do they notice the school of similar insects flying across the room. The queen has always adored the beauty of insects, small, humble and beautiful. They are her symbol.

"Duke Iverk."

      She speaks back.

"Lord Bayon, Lord Dozza, Lord Noum, Lord Pupo."

     Each bastard nods at the mention of their name. The Queen smiles.

"Theft."

     She states loudly, coldy. The agonizing hint of her voice contradicts her gorgeous face, perfect nails, dress and hair. Warm smile of a lady.

Ahh, that matter about various farms being indiscriminately targeted, Lord Pupo thinks. That's what she called us here for.

"It's been increasing more these past 6 months, and thus, the shortage of human meat has locally caused much discontent among many of our subjects. We are currently taking measures as sending out meat from elsewhere, however..."

      Her assuring smile turns, forming a frown. The movement of her lips causes a shiver down all's spines.

"we assume that soon, subjugation through warfare may be required."

      War. It can be either entertaining or a deafening inconvenience depending who you ask. They've only ever fought with the humans a couple of centuries ago, but fighting amongst themselves might be a bit more of a challenge.

"Madam, I agree with your plans."

      Lord Noum, the youngest daughter of the late Lord Noum and now one of the heads of the five regent houses in his place, says to the Queen.