Chapter 19 - First Day Alive

"What's your deal? Who are you?"

I ask Dr. Ratri's assistant. You know, the one with the slick, grey brushed back hair, the rectangular glasses and the green id badge. I've noticed recently that he's been staring at me and Norman for unusually long periods of time recently, and it's starting to creep me out. So, I took the opportunity yesterday during my testing to take advantage of his watchful eyes and lured him into the bathroom after me.

"You're starting to creep me out, weirdo. I found a note in my bed a month ago; were you the one who left it there? Are you a pervert?"

"What!? N-no, of course not."

"Then who are you, weirdo?"

The assistant takes a deep breath in and exhales. He puts his hands behind his back.

"Though I can not disclose my true name to you, you may call me Smee."

I snicker. Smee? Is this guy serious? Who chose that nickname? I knew all the scientists at Lambda were pathetic losers with dumb names. SmEe.

"I am a supporter of Mr. William Minerva, a man who helps and offers cattle children information and recourses. He and his supporters all believe in the liberation of this world's cattle children, such as yourself, F/N."

William Minerva? Who is that, and why does his name sound so familiar?

"How do I know you're not lying to me? That name sounds like it came out of a novel. Is he a detective or something?"

"I assure you he is not. Although Mr. Minerva is no longer with us, he offers his guidance and support in the books and locations which he offers you children in secret. He truly was an amazing man."

"Are you in love with him or something?"

I giggle, and Smee smiles, although I doubt he found my remark funny at all. He hands me a pen, a strange one, which I observe and spin around.

"What's this supposed to be? A pen? Looks like a regular old pen. Well, not that regular, it's an odd ball. What am I supposed to do with this?"

"You'll see when the time comes."

He snatches the pen out of my hand and sets it in his pocket.

"We must go back now. Dr. Ratri and the others are waiting for you."

-

Norman finds himself seated in front of an older boy, the only thing separating the two being the wooden table which they use to exchange a 5x5 rubiks cube.

The older boy lacks hair on his head, revealing a large scar accompanied by stitches formed in a straight line across the top of his bald head. The boy has tanned skin, blonde eyebrows, a sharp nose and oval glasses.

I'm Vincent.

Norman smiles once having taken notice of the small, crumpled note hidden in between the smaller cubes. This reminds him of his conversations with N/N. They meet once a week, but they always make sure to use their time wisely.

I'm Norman. How long you been here?

3 years. I'm 18. Glory Bell.

I'm 12. Grace Field.

I know.

Do you want leave?