Chapter 18 - Final Night Alive

I've been here now for 6 months. I'm honestly surprised I haven't yet gone bald. I have noticed, however, that although Norman has grown and physically matured drastically in our time at Λ7214, I, for some reason, have lost weight and become shorter. I'm practically shaped like a stick, with hardly any meat left on my bones. I don't understand though, 'cause I eat plently.

My body has become ugly, and although I'm now 13 years old, I feel as if I haven't changed since 10. If I were put in a situation where I would have to defend myself, could I even do so with this stupid body? Stupid worm arms and legs; I need to eat up and start doing more pushs ups or something before I faint.

-

It's the middle of the night, and all the children should be asleep by now, Ray thinks.

He's sitting on a chair in the large dining room inside Grace Field house. Today is the day, he thinks. It's the day he's looked forward to and planned for the last 12 years of his life. His twelfth birthday: the day of his death, and the day that will be marked as Grace Field's biggest embarrassment in all its history.

"I've been thinking this whole time: What should I do for Norman's sake?"

Ray doesn't move. Emma is holding herself up with the help of one of her crutches.

"The answer is... to do nothing."

She waits for her friend, whose appearance is not as clean as it once was, to move a muscle. To say something. But he doesn't, so she has no choice but to keep talking.

"Mom told me... to give up and free myself of the pain. But I will never, ever give up. I won't let Norman and N/N's sacrifices be in vain. And you, Ray?"

Finally, Ray turns his head away from her and sets his book down.

"So I guess we're both thinking the same thing in the end."

"Let's run away, Ray. I came here to talk about that."

"I wanted to talk to you, too. These past few months, we couldn't really talk since we were worried about Mom watching us."

Emma smiles for just a moment, but gets rid of it before Ray notices.

.

Isabella is quiet as she walks by the cribs in her room. Her newest addition to the family, little Carol, has been adjusting unusually well to her new home. She puts her hand to her heart as she thinks about all the good times they'll have together in the near future. How one day, if she's smart enough, little Carol will make it 'till she's 12 and replace all the older kids in Grace Field.

She leaves to her office. She writes, she thinks, she crosses yesterday off the calendar and smiles when she reads Ray's name on the next day.

"Goodbye, Ray."

Ray will be happier somewhere else, she thinks. She knows in her heart it's true.

"RAY!"

Her head shoots up immediately. No time to waste, she races out of the room but is forced to stop at the dining room's door when she reaches a smell so revolting, to breathe it in would be toxic.

"What is this smell?"

She throws both doors open and out of her way to reveal a large fire covering the entire dining room. The wooden tables and chairs are burning to ash, but the most important thing to take note of is Emma, who's down on her knees and arms, facing the fire.